Interns attend orientation and introductory sessions during the Fall Semester and shadow their supervisors and complete projects in Winter Term. In the spring, interns conclude the program through capstone experiences and disseminate the findings of their projects to appropriate university personnel. Additionally, interns meet with the Student Professional Development Center for custom sessions on career and professional development. Throughout the year, interns attend meetings with the Board of Trustees and the Presidential Advisory Council, as well as events such as football and basketball games and Evenings for Elon.
Interns are expected to conduct themselves with the highest levels of professionalism and serve as representatives of the university. Interns are required to present themselves in a manner suitable for a business environment. Due to the nature of the program, interns are expected to wear business casual attire for meetings during the fall and spring semesters and standard business attire for Winter Term. Lastly, in order to participate in the program and work with senior staff members, Executive Interns must demonstrate the ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
Today I work at a very large company, and feel self-assured interacting with executives of all levels, and proud of my background as an Elon student and an alumna of the Elon Executive Intern program.
– Abigail Mitchell ’15
Stipend and Academic Credit
Interns receive a $1400 stipend for their work during winter term. Individual interns may work in advance with the Student Professional Development Center to develop and fulfill requirements to receive academic co-op or internship credit.
- Work with members of the university senior leadership on projects,
- Develop and enhance leadership skills,
- Learn about higher education administration and senior organizational management, and
- Foster deeper understanding of Elon University
Participating Offices and Divisions
Offices that have participated in the program include:
- Office of the President
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Associate Provost for Inclusive Community
- Office of the Associate Provost for Faculty Staff Affairs
- The College of Arts and Sciences
- Business, Technology, and Finance
- University Advancement
- University Communications
- Student Life
- Admissions and Financial Planning
- The Center for Access and Success
- The Center for Race, Ethnicity, and Diversity Education