I. Administrative Changes and Academic Reorganization
- Coordinate with senior staff in the search for new Provost/VPAA.
- Conduct successful searches for the following:
- Dean, School of Education
- Dean, International Programs
- Dean, Cultural Program
- Plan for academic reorganization of programs in the School of Education.
II. Academic Program Enhancements
- Hold campus-wide discussion about recommendations of the LRP sub-committee on science initiatives and bring recommendations to the university strategic planning committee.
- Develop/implement new academic programs and strengthen existing ones.
- Prepare facilities, hire faculty, recruit first class for masters degree in Interactive Media
- Finalize proposal for major in Arts Administration
- Explore structure of Environmental Studies Program
- Explore structure of Program International Studies
- Investigate new structure for department of Business Administration
- Plan to implement summer stock program for summer 2009.
- Develop an interdisciplinary minor in entrepreneurship.
- Develop a plan that leads toward 100% of new students having a learning community experience.
- Plan and implement an Elon in New York program for summer 2009.
- Implement steps to strengthen study abroad program.
- Pilot 1-credit fall component of Winter Term courses for 3-4 classes
- Develop additional international service learning/internship opportunities
- Develop plan to distribute study abroad scholarship funds
- Continue development of the Elon University School of Law.
- Develop and implement program for successful bar exam passage — attain 75%+ passage rate
- Develop and implement successful placement plan for graduates
- Finalize the leadership program as a hallmark of the School of Law
- Recruit new class of 115 students with 154 LSAT
- Increase annual scholarship fund-raising revenue to $500,000
- Host successful ABA visit
- Prepare for full accreditation
III. Strengthen Academic Climate
- Continue Task Force on Scholarship initiatives.
- Develop recommendations for enhanced Office of Sponsored Programs, including an external assessment of the Office
- Work with FR&D to initiate the new reassigned times and the full-year sabbatical award
- Support the undergraduate research advisory board as it develops recommendations about further enhancing the undergraduate research experience
- Study and make recommendations concerning the appropriate administrative leadership structure to support and enhance scholarly and creative work
- Effectively communicate and administer new supports available to new and probationary faculty
- Charge Graduate Council to examine impact of the task force’s report on graduate programs and faculty
- Design a program to provide support for scholarly endeavors for staff with faculty rank.
- Develop a university-wide intellectual property policy.
- Develop and implement conflict of interest and misconduct in research policies.
- Assess impact of and recommend follow-up to the part-time initiative to work toward 15% part-time faculty.
- Work with departments, General Studies and Academic Advising to further develop Elon’s academic challenge initiatives.
- Evaluate results of online teaching evaluation and implement wider use in spring 2009.
- Work with the Academic Council to study and develop recommendations for a system of shared-governance that better reflects the new complexities of Elon University.
- Implement appropriate recommendations from the new Technology Plan.
- Work with Phi Beta Kappa site visit team to address all matters pertaining to the final steps of receiving a PBK chapter.
- Conduct a successful AACSB maintenance of Accreditation visit in February 2009.
IV. Expand/Enhance Co-curricular Programs for Students
- Offer 25 Student Transition courses in 2008-09.
- Implement Career Services initiatives including “Corporate Partners” program; “Beyond Elon;” and the Elon Career Network.
- Identify expected outcomes and assessment methods for ELRs.
V. Space and Facilities
- Plan for successful opening of Lindner Hall and the resulting changes in program facilities in Alamance, Powell Building, McMichael, Duke, Financial Planning, and Powell House.
- Develop alternative plans for storage of library materials.
- Plan for use of Koury Center space to be released by athletics.
- Address faculty office space needs for 2009-10 and 2010-11.