S.M.A.R.T. Mentoring Program
The S.M.A.R.T Mentoring Program offers opportunities to first-year ALANAM (African-American/Black, Latino/Hispanic, Asian/Pacific Islander, Native American, Alaskan Native, and Multiracial) students to be mentored by an upper class student. Mentors provide guidance and support to mentees and assist them in making a smooth transition from high school to college.
DEEP is the CREDE’s signature program for social justice. DEEP aims to actively engage students, faculty, and staff in increasing their understanding of and appreciation for diversity and promoting activism for social justice through events and workshops in the Elon University community.
Phillips-Perry Black Excellence Awards
The Phillips-Perry Black Excellence Awards Banquet started in 1993. At the awards ceremony each spring, black students who have shown excellence in academics and the Elon Experience are recognized. This banquet serves an opportunity to celebrate the accomplishments of the black community and as incentive to all black students to continue to excel academically. See more information about the Phillips Perry Awards.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemorative Celebration Week
Each year, the Center for Race, Ethnicity & Diversity Education will sponsor a campus-wide week of events to celebrate the life and legacy of the late Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. See more information about this initiative.
Heritage Month Celebrations
The Center for Race, Ethnicity, & Diversity Education observes the following theme months by offering events or activities to increasing understanding and appreciation within the campus community.
- January – Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration
- February – Black History Month
- March – National Women’s History Month
- April – Asian/Pacific Islander Heritage Month (observed at Elon; National recognition month is May)
- September – National Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month (Sept. 15-Oct. 15)
- October – National Disability Employment Awareness Month & Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender History Month
- November – National Native American Heritage Month
- December – Universal Human Rights Month