The 17th annual student government awards highlight contributions of 14 individuals and organizations.
Elon’s Student Government Association held its annual Organization Awards and Inauguration Ceremony on March 29 to recognize student organizations and groups as well as individual student, staff and faculty leaders for their service to the campus community. The event also served as the ceremonial inauguration of SGA Executive President Darien Flowers along with SGA executive officers Connor O’Donnell, vice president; Welsford Bishopric, treasurer; and Leah Burns, secretary.
Organizations and groups that were recognized included the following:
- Reverend Richard McBride Award for Campus/Greater Community Involvement – Beta Alpha Psi
- Student Organization Committee of the Year – Philanthropy Committee, Sigma Phi Epsilon
- University Program of the Year – New Student Orientation
- Highest Grade Point Average – Lead Team
- Student Organization of the Year – Under 30 Members – Spectrum and Mock Trial
- Student Organization of the Year – Over 30 Members – Sigma Phi Epsilon
Individuals recognized by SGA included the following:
- Outstanding Service to Students – Mary Leigh Frier Denlinger
- Barbara H. Carlton Award for Outstanding Advisor of the Year – Marquis Barnett, Mock Trial
- Gerald F. Francis Award for Outstanding Faculty Member – Evan Gatti
- Student Organization Newcomer of the Year – Dylan Brock, Student Union Board
- Student Organization Member of the Year – Andrew Somers, EV!
- Student Organization Officer of the Year – Jess McDonald, Spectrum
- J. Earl Danieley Leadership Awards – Katie Kenney and Evan Glover
SGA also honored two students as the first recipients of $2,000 Student Government Association Scholarship. They are Elizabeth Capel and John Kyle Keith.