Student leaders from The Pendulum were honored with individual and Best of Show awards at the sixth annual North Carolina College Media Association conference Feb. 16 at North Carolina A&T State University in Greensboro, N.C.
Students and advisers from student media organizations from across the state participated in the daylong event.
Hundreds of entries from more than 20 media outlets submitted materials for awards consideration. Below is a list of only the Elon winners. (Numbers next to the names indicate the place students finished in a particular category.)
NEWSPAPER—SMALL SCHOOL (6,000 student enrollment and less)
Best of Show—Newspaper
Best of Show—Online
The Pendulum Online
HM: Brian Allenby—“Leaving a Mark”
1. Paige Gregory—”How public school’s funding decrease plagues the Alamance-Burlington school system’s education” (pgs. 12-13)
3. Claire Esparros—”Chick-fil-A: Here to stay?” (pg. 1)
1. Rebecca Wickel—”Dr. Danieley’s lifetime of maroon and gold”
2. Samantha Parker and Doug Williams—”Elon University students cast ballots in N.C. to give vote more weight”
3. Jeff Stern and Paige Gregory—”The Elon University Boredom Buster”
1. Katherine Blunt—“Resolution against Chick-fil-A passes in SGA senate”
3. Rebecca Wickel—“N.C. college affordability forces students into debt”
1. Katherine Blunt—“Fraternity house maintenance director rebuilds life in wake of conquered alcoholism”
1. Zachary Horner—“Mellette travels path less taken”
HM: Andrew Wilson—“Hardwood hoopster takes talents to softball diamond”
Pendulum students who attended the NCCMA conference were editor Rebecca Iannucci, features senior reporter and Elon Edge photo editor Katy Canada and design editor Kaitlin Dunn. Pendulum adviser Colin Donohue also made the trip.
In total, more than 80 people from more than 15 universities and colleges in North Carolina were in attendance.