Students are encouraged to take preventive measures to prevent the flu. Students will have the opportunities to receive the flu vaccine on campus Wednesday, Jan. 16, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in Global Commons. Supplies are limited.
Flu Season is Right Around the Corner — Protect Yourself!
The flu can be serious! The single-dose flu vaccine is designed to protect against the flu strains that research indicates will cause the most illness during this flu season. The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention recommend getting the flu vaccine as soon as it becomes available each year. The protection you get from the vaccination is designed to provide protection throughout the flu season. With the holiday breaks, final exams and Winter Term study abroad courses just around the corner, you want to protect yourself as much as possible. In addition to receiving the flu vaccine, students, faculty and staff can take preventive actions like staying away from sick people and washing your hands to reduce the spread of germs.
For more information about the 2018-19 flu season and vaccine recommendations, please visit the CDC web-site at: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2018-2019.htm
A moderate to severe case of the flu can have a major impact on a student, faculty or staff member during an academic term.
The Office of the Dean of Students, in partnership with Midtown Pharmacy, will offer a “pop-up” flu vaccine clinic (shots) to students on campus. Quantities are limited; Vaccines will be provided while supplies last. Wednesday, Jan. 16 11:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. in Global Commons.
YOU DO NOT NEED CASH AT THE TIME OF THE CLINIC: Bring your insurance card if you have one! Most insurance carriers cover the total cost of flu vaccines. You should bring your insurance card with you, and Midtown Pharmacy will file your insurance with no out-of-pocket cost. Once your insurance is filed, if you do have a co-pay, we can put it on your student account.
Students who do not have an insurance card may pay the $23 vaccine cost at the time of service. You may pay by cash or check or you can request we post it on your student account. We will provide documentation if you would like to file for reimbursement from your insurance company at a later time.
Students who cannot attend the clinic or if demand exceeds supply may also receive flu vaccines at most local pharmacies with no out-of-pocket cost.
Need a ride? The BioBus (University Line) makes stops at the following locations with pharmacies:
- CVS on University Drive (Lowe’s Foods)
- Target (University Drive)
The University Line BioBus schedule is located at http://org.elon.edu/transit/biobus/busSchedule.html
If you do come down with the flu:
- Make sure you have medical and nutritional supplies on hand for the flu (or any illness): https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/flu-survival-kit#1
- If you are sick with flu, stay home from work or school to prevent spreading flu to others. If you are sick and cannot attend class, contact your faculty members directly and keep them apprised of your condition. Any consideration for class absences is granted by your individual faculty members and departmental policy.
- Not every student who comes down with the flu needs to seek medical attention. To determine if you need to seek medical attention, consult the following: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/index.html
- If you do need to see a provider, schedule an appointment with Health Services staff by accessing the PhoenixHealth portal and following the directions at https://www.elon.edu/u/health-wellness/health-services/appointments/ or calling (336) 278-7230 during business hours. If appointments are full and your symptoms warrant, you may want to consider seeking medical attention at a local Urgent Care clinic or hospital.
- If you have other questions or need additional support, contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 336-278-7200 and ask to speak to a member of the Student Concerns staff.
Students may direct questions to The Office of the Dean of Students and The Student Concerns Outreach Staff at (336) 278-7200 during normal business hours.