Elon is offering optional pre-departure COVID-19 testing to students, faculty and staff on Nov. 16-20 in advance of the Thanksgiving holiday. Find details about the testing in this post.
Members of the Elon community,
Below is an update on the optional pre-departure COVID-19 testing planned for Nov. 16-20. Changes from our previous announcement are in bold and underlined. Please read all the information below before making an appointment.
Optional no-cost Thanksgiving pre-departure COVID-19 testing
Optional pre-departure testing will be available at no cost to students, staff and faculty. The appointment link can be found below.
In order to increase safety and reduce congestion, we have made a slight change, noted in bold and underlined below.
Please review the following, including the “Required Quarantine/Isolation” information, before making an appointment and consult the End of Semester Travel site.
New testing process for optional pre-departure testing
- In order to provide rapid results and prepare for a future shift to antigen testing this spring, we have secured the new Abbott BinaxNow test from the North Carolina Department of Health and Social Services and North Carolina Independent Colleges & Universities for pre-departure testing.
This test requires a different process (but still a non-invasive nasal swab):
- Participants must return to the gym 60 minutes after they complete their test in order to receive their results. Staff at a table outside the gym entrance will provide confidential results.
- Anyone with a positive test result will be required to immediately take a PCR test on-site and quarantine at least until those results are returned within 24-48 hours, in order to avoid any chance of false positives results.
- Negative results do not require confirmation via PCR test.
- Participants will receive a copy of their test results.
Required quarantine and isolation
- Students, faculty and staff with a positive PCR test will be required by the health department to isolate at least 10 days. Close contacts of those with a positive test will also be required by the health department to quarantine at least 14 days. Isolation/quarantine dates are not negotiable and must be observed for the assigned date.
State/country testing requirements
- Check the testing requirements for your state or country. Travelers to states or countries requiring a PCR test (e.g., Connecticut, Massachusetts, Bahamas, etc.) will be able to get a PCR test in Alumni Gym by notifying the staff member at check-in. PCR results take 24-48 hours.
Appointment schedule & sign up
Click here to make an appointment after reading the above information. By participating in testing, you agree to using your personal information for reporting COVID results to the health department.
Off-campus testing options
The following off-campus locations, not associated with Elon, also provide COVID-19 testing:
- Cone Health drive-up testing locations (Mon.-Fri., 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.)
- Alamance County: Medical Mall at Alamance Regional, 1238 Huffman Mill Road, Burlington
- FastMed Urgent Care – 336-506-1720 (Weekend testing available)
- 104 Huffman Mill Rd, Burlington, NC 27215
- Kernodle Clinic – 336-538-1234 (Weekend testing available)
- 1234 Huffman Mill Rd, Burlington, NC 27215
- Nextcare Urgent Care – 336-222-8888 (Weekend testing NOT available)
- 1713 South Church Street, Burlington, NC 27215
- Alamance County Health Department – 336-570-6459 (Weekend testing NOT available)
- 319 N. Graham-Hopedale Rd. Burlington, NC 27217
Jeff Stein, Ready & Resilient Committee Chair
- Dan Anderson, Vice President of University Communications
- Ginette Archinal, Medical Director of Student Health and University Physician
- MarQuita Barker, Director of Residence Life
- John Barnhill, Associate Vice President for University Advancement
- Tom Flood, Assistant Vice President of Physical Plant
- Jason Husser, Associate Professor of Political Science and Policy Studies, and Director of the Elon Poll (Academic Council Representative)
- Deandra Little, Assistant Provost, Director of the Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning and Professor of English
- Paul Miller, Assistant Provost for Academic Operations and Communications and Professor of Exercise Science
- Kelly Reimer, Director of Teaching and Learning Technologies (Staff Council Representative)
- Carrie Ryan, Director of Auxiliary Services
- Kelli Shuman, Associate Vice President for Human Resources & Chief Human Resources Officer
- Gabie Smith, Dean of Elon College, the College of Arts and Sciences and Professor of Psychology
- Mary Southern, Project Manager for Provost and Academic Affairs Operations (Project Manager)
- Mike Ward, Deputy Director of Athletics
- Randy Williams, Vice President and Associate Provost for Inclusive Excellence and Assistant Professor of Education