The graduating student-athletes were not going to be able to attend Friday's main undergraduate Commencement with the team slated to be in Charleston, S.C., to conclude its regular season.
Because seniors on Elon’s baseball team will be donning their uniforms later this week when their classmates are putting on caps and gowns for Commencement, the university held a special graduation ceremony for them in Schar Center Saturday night.
The team will be in Charleston, S.C., this weekend to finish out its regular season, which means 10 graduating student-athletes would be unable to participate in the main undergraduate Commencement ceremony on Friday. Saturday night’s special ceremony was a way for these student-athletes and their families to celebrate their accomplishments at Elon on and off the field.
Executive Vice President Steven House conferred the degrees to the students and President Connie Ledoux Book delivered the charge to the new graduates.
“This ceremony for our players is just another example of how truly special Elon really is,” said Coach Mike Kennedy. “The personal touch given our guys from President Book and Dr. House today was just awesome. I know this is a day our guys will talk about for years to come. We’re very thankful for the efforts of Dave Blank, Kyle Wills and especially Cayce Crenshaw. Congratulations to all our graduates — Long live Elon!”
Receiving their degrees Saturday were:
- Daniel Albrittain, BSBA – Marketing
- Nick Cicci, BS – Exercise Science
- Tyler Cranston, BA – Economics
- Matt Oldham, BS – Sport Management
- Jarrett Pico, BSBA – Finance
- Jack Roberts, BSBA – Management
- Will Schmidt, BS – Sport Management
- Adam Spurlin, BSBA – Management
- Garrett Stonehouse, BSBA – Marketing
- Jared Wetherbee, BS – Strategic Communications