Elon also strongly recommends all faculty and staff get a vaccine booster as soon as possible due to the rise in cases attributed to the Omicron variant of COVID-19.
Dear members of the Elon Community,
As we look ahead to a new year, we write today with updated campus requirements, as we make final preparations for Winter Term and continue looking ahead to the endemic phase of the virus.
While the Omicron variant spreads rapidly and can lead to breakthrough cases (even in those with prior positives or initial vaccines without boosters), we are fortunate to have learned how to work together as a community, utilizing highly effective vaccines, masking, and other mitigation measures.
Most importantly, we now know that booster vaccines are extremely effective in protecting against serious illness, hospitalization, and death. The CDC and many health experts now have evidence that full vaccination should include a Pfizer or Moderna booster shot. Based on that guidance, Elon University announces the following important steps for our community as we prepare for Winter Term and Spring Semester:
- All students are required to receive a booster vaccine and upload their documentation as soon as possible and no later than January 31 (or within seven days of being eligible to receive the booster).
- Students should take steps now to get their booster prior to Winter Term. Booster shots are available in all communities. Go to vaccines.gov to find a location near you. Check My Healthy Status to verify vaccine details you have already uploaded.
- Students who are unable to schedule their booster before returning may sign up for on-campus booster clinics, which are first-come-first-served and by appointment.
- Additional information about boosters, previously-approved exemptions, positives during break, and eligibility for boosters, will be added to the Healthy Elon vaccination web page as soon as possible.
- Elon strongly recommends all Faculty and Staff get their booster as soon as possible.
- Students studying away from campus should stay in close contact with their faculty and the Global Education Center web page with updates regarding courses and travel. Also, access frequently asked questions about Winter Term 2022 study away programs.
- As previously announced, the campus indoor masking requirement remains in effect through the end of January.
Students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to take advantage of free testing on campus (click here for details on the Healthy Elon testing website). Asymptomatic testing continues Dec. 27-30 and resumes Monday, Jan. 3.
We continue to work closely with local and state health officials while leveraging resources and tools to navigate the coming weeks. The university will continue regular communications, including restarting Dr. Dooley’s weekly email this Wednesday and providing additional FAQs later this week. Thank you for your continued support in keeping our community healthy.
We wish you a healthy and happy new year,
Jeff Stein, Healthy Elon Committee Chair
- Dan Anderson, Special Assistant to the President
- Ginette Archinal, Medical Director of Student Health and University Physician
- MarQuita Barker, Assistant Dean of Campus Life and Director of Residence Life
- John Barnhill, Associate Vice President for University Advancement
- Tom Flood, Assistant Vice President of Physical Plant
- Jason Husser, Associate Professor of Political Science and Policy Studies, and Director of the Elon Poll (Academic Council Representative)
- Deandra Little, Assistant Provost, Director of the Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning and Professor of English
- Paul Miller, Associate Provost for Academic Excellence and Operations and Professor of Exercise Science
- Kelly Reimer, Senior Director of Teaching and Learning Technologies (Staff Council Representative)
- Keren Rivas, Interim Vice President for Communications and Marketing
- Carrie Ryan, Assistant Vice President for Auxiliary Services
- Kelli Shuman, Associate Vice President for Human Resources & Chief Human Resources Officer
- Gabie Smith, Dean of Elon College, the College of Arts and Sciences and Professor of Psychology
- Mary Southern, Project Manager for Provost and Academic Affairs Operations (Project Manager)
- Mike Ward, Deputy Director of Athletics
- Randy Williams, Vice President and Associate Provost for Inclusive Excellence and Assistant Professor of Education