The National Weather Service is predicting rain Friday night that will turn to snow and leave up to 2 inches of snow in the area overnight, with wind gusts of up to 35 miles per hour.
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for Central North Carolina beginning at 6 p.m. this evening. The current forecast indicates this storm will be similar to last weekend, starting with a brief period of rain this evening, turning quickly to snow as the temperatures fall. Overnight snow accumulations are predicted to be about 1-2 inches, with wind gusts up to 35 miles per hour.
The snowfall is expected to result in hazardous driving conditions in the Elon area as well as central North Carolina. Facilities Management staff will be clearing and treating campus roadways, parking lots, and sidewalks. Please be careful when traversing the campus and watch for slippery spots. Temperatures will remain cold throughout the weekend, which means black ice is likely to be a problem for several days.
Returning students who are not already on campus and were planning to arrive on Saturday are encouraged to consider returning on Sunday instead. This will allow time for conditions to improve and give Facilities Management staff more time to clear roadways, parking lots, and sidewalks throughout the campus.
Several weekend activities will proceed as scheduled, including:
- Women’s basketball tonight, January 28, against Drexel at 7 p.m. in Schar Center
- Panhellenic Association recruitment activities through Sunday, all of which are planned to occur as scheduled
- Move-in and orientation activities on Saturday and Sunday for new first-year and transfer students enrolling for Spring Semester
- Inman Admissions Center will be open Saturday, 8:30 a.m. – noon, with an information session at 9 a.m. and tours afterward, as campus conditions allow.
ADJUSTED SCHEDULES FOR CAMPUS SERVICES SATURDAY, JANUARY 29:
- Asymptomatic testing is not available this weekend and will resume on Monday, January 31 at 9 a.m.
- Symptomatic testing at the Ellington Center is available Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
RESIDENCE LIFE / ORIENTATION
- Move-in for new students is Saturday, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Returning students are encouraged to delay their return until Sunday, if at all possible, to give staff more time to clear campus sidewalks, parking lots, and roadways.
- New Student Orientation will begin as planned on Saturday at 2:45 p.m. Check-in from 1-2:30 p.m. in the Moseley Center. For a full Orientation schedule, visit the New Student Orientation website.
- Will close at 9 p.m. Friday
- Open Saturday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
CAMPUS RECREATION AND WELLNESS
Koury Center: closes at 2 p.m. Friday; closed Saturday and Sunday
Beck Pool: Closed
PARC: Fitness Center, 6 a.m. – midnight; Gym closed
All other facilities and administrative offices closed
- McEwen Dining Hall: Friday and Saturday hours, Brunch 11 a.m – 2 p.m.; Dinner 5 – 8 p.m.
- Other locations may open as conditions improve and staff can travel to campus safely.
- Check hours, locations, and menus online here (hours will be updated in real time) and on the Elon Dining social media channels.
- Will close at 10 p.m. Friday
- Open Saturday 7 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- Mail Services will be open Saturday 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
STUDENT HEALTH SERVICES
- Open Friday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. by appointment.
- The “sick rides” Health Services shuttle will not operate.
- Telehealth services remain available on-demand 24/7 through TimelyCare.
ELON EXPRESS SHUTTLES
- All routes will resume their normal schedules beginning Monday, January 31.
- Today at Elon remains the best source for university information about the winter storm and is updated regularly.
How do I stay informed?
It is important that everyone continues to monitor news and weather forecasts and watch for Elon announcements throughout the storm. These are your primary sources of Elon information:
- This story will be updated as needed with new forecast information and any changes to campus operations
- Emails sent to Elon email accounts
- E-Alert text message (for short emergency messages). Sign up or verify your registration online here.
- Elon social media accounts, including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- A list of local weather sources on Twitter is available here.