Welcome to Elon!
We are excited you are joining us for Spring 2024! Whether you are coming to Elon as a first-year student or a transfer student, New Student Orientation (NSO) will ensure that your transition to Elon is smooth and enjoyable. We cannot wait to see you January 30-31, 2024 for your NSO experience!
Your Elon Bound journey includes more than just in-person orientation. Check out the full scope of your Elon Bound experience!
Our goals for New Student Orientation are that new students will:
- Connect with peers in meaningful ways and share experiences to broaden their community.
- Engage their intercultural awareness and learn Elon’s common language, perspective, and skills to bolster their understanding of self and how their identity contributes to the broader Elon community.
- Discover Elon University’s traditions and campus culture.
- Learn about and deepen their understanding of the University services and procedures that they will use throughout their years at Elon.
- Intellectually engage with faculty, staff, administrators, and other students to strengthen their understanding of the academic expectations of the college experience, including the Core Curriculum, engaged learning, and academic advising.
- Enhance their understanding of University requirements and resources designed to support them as they strive for academic success.
Who Attends Orientation
New Student Orientation is designed for all new students, transfers and first-years. It is expected that all new students will participate fully in the experience. We expect everyone to be present and plan accordingly, you do not need to register prior to the experience.
If you have any questions about the schedule, please reach out to New Student Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or (336) 278-7000.
Arriving on Campus
A snapshot of your day on January 30, 2024:
- Check into housing at your neighborhood area office (if applicable) and move into your room
- Early afternoon, check into New Student Orientation in the Moseley Student Center. This is where you will receive your Phoenix Card
- Engage in New Student Orientation beginning mid-afternoon on Tuesday, January 30 and culminating on Wednesday, January 31
A Campus Map will be useful as you navigate in and around our campus.
There is ample parking in and around campus.
Each Residential Neighborhood has its own parking lot. For New Student Orientation you are welcome to either park in the McMichael lot or Oaks Neighborhood lot.
If you are coming to Elon with a car that you’ll keep on campus, be sure to obtain your parking permit. You can find out more information and register your vehicle on the Campus Safety and Police website .
New Student Orientation Activities
We developed a an orientation schedule unique to transfer students and spring start first-year students. Activities will occur in the mid afternoon on Tuesday, January 30th and run all day on Wednesday, January 31st. You will participate in a small group of 12-15 students and an Orientation Leader, an upper-class student who has been trained to give you all the information you will need to be successful at Elon. Whether you are new to college, or just new to Elon’s campus, Orientation Leaders will make sure you feel confident and competent as you begin your Elon experience.
You will also have the chance to meet with your academic advisor, the person who will work with you to help plan for coursework and experiential learning until you declare a major. Once you declare a major, you will be assigned a new academic advisor in that disciplinary area.
In addition to making sure you are prepared to begin class and engage in academics at Elon, Orientation will help you learn about campus life and cultural values at Elon. Elon’s values a strong, inclusive community in which students understand the importance of different identities respectfully engage with each other across those differences. A full schedule will be provided at check-in.
New Student Convocation
New Student Convocation is an important Elon tradition in which new students gather together to hear an official welcome to the University from the Provost, the Vice President of Student Life, and other senior administrators. New students also receive an acorn, a symbol of the ways in which they will grow during their time at Elon. Please arrive early and dress neatly for this special event. Photos from Fall Convocation can be seen on Elon’s Flickr site as well as social media!
The Spring New Student Convocation will take place on Wednesday, January 31st at 12:15pm and will include lunch with campus faculty, staff, and administrators. We ask that students RSVP to let the planning team know how many guests will be joining them for this event.
Parents & Family
There will be an in-person Welcome Session for parents and families on Tuesday, January 30th, and families are welcome to join the community for the New Student Convocation Luncheon on Wednesday, January 31st as well. Additional details will be shared in mid-January.