New Student Programs engages students and their families in the Elon learning experience by facilitating their transition, preparing and supporting them as they become active, successful, and authentic members of the University community. We do this through teaching new and continuing students and their families about academic success, campus resources, traditions and Elon culture, and by helping them build community.
- Provide educational opportunities for students and families to enhance their understanding of University requirements and resources to support them as they strive for academic success.
- Provide opportunities for students and families to intellectually engage with faculty, staff, administrators, and other students to strengthen their understanding of the academic expectations of the college experience, including the Core Curriculum, engaged learning, and academic advising.
- Offer opportunities for students and families to learn about, and deepen their understanding of, University services and procedures that they will use throughout their years at Elon.
- Educate students and families on University traditions and the campus culture.
- Engage students’ intercultural awareness and provide them with common language, perspective, and skills to bolster their understanding of self and how their identity contributes to the broader Elon community.
- Provide opportunities for students and families to connect in meaningful ways with peers and share experiences to broaden their community after arriving at Elon.
- Provide intentional and on-going leadership development for student leaders to fully prepare them to mentor, support, serve, and lead new and continuing students at Elon.
Commitment to Inclusion
New Student Programs is committed to cultivating a community of inclusion and diversity. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment by or toward any individuals in our programs and trainings.
Elon University is an institutional member of NODA (The Association for Orientation, Transition, and Retention in Higher Education). NODA is the premiere professional association for collegiate orientation, transition, and retention programming. Please visit the NODA website for more information about the association, statements of ethical standards, and careers in orientation.