Five campus organizations helped by 'Dine with Purpose'
The donation program intended to give back to student groups and university initiatives has assisted Stop Hunger Now, Habitat for Humanity, Kernodle Center programming, the "It Gets Better" initiative and the Elon Academy.
Elon Dining started Dine with Purpose in Fall 2013. This donation program is intended to give back to student groups and university initiatives. One week a month a different retail dining location donates 10 percent of all food dollar, cash and credit sales to various organizations.
Groups are chosen in advance and placed in a month significant to their events. Dine with Purpose weeks are advertised at locations, on Elon Dining’s Facebook and Twitter accounts, and via email.
Since September, $1,407 has been raised to support the following five organizations.
- Stop Hunger Now: An international hunger relief agency that is committed to ending hunger. Elon hosts meal-packaging events each year for students and alumni to help package these meals.
- Habitat for Humanity: Elon’s Campus Chapter commits to fundraising and building one house per year in Alamance County and seeks to eliminate poverty housing from the world and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action.
- Alternative Breaks: The Kernodle Center for Service Learning and Community Engagement and Elon Volunteers! offer students the chance to take their love of service on the road. Planned and led by student coordinators, the Alternative Break Program allows students to face pressing social issues in communities locally and globally.
- It Gets Better: Communicates to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth around the world that it gets better, and to create and inspire the changes needed to make it better for them.
- Elon Academy: Inspires academically promising students who are often underrepresented on college and university campuses to pursue higher education, build leadership skills, and develop an active sense of social responsibility.
Be on the lookout in the spring semester for more opportunities to Dine with Purpose!