Elon University offers approximately 64 sections of English 110 Writing: Argument and Inquiry, our required first-year writing course, each year. English 110 is 4 credit hours and offered both fall and spring, with half of the first-year class taking the course each semester.
This page offers additional course statistics that might be of interest to Writing Program Administrators and our peer institutions.
Class Size Cap: 20
AP Score Required for Credit: 4 or 5 on the AP English Language and Composition exam
Faculty: Approximately 35 on tenured, tenure-track, lecture-track, limited-term, and part-time lines
- 7 workshops each year for all faculty teaching in the program
- 1 new faculty workshop for new hires
- Course design groups offered once or twice a year
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning events offered by the Elon University Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning
Budget and Accountability:
- Annual budget provided by the Department of English and the General Studies Program
- Annual report submitted to both entities
- Coordinator receives a 2 course release (1/semester) from a 6 course annual load
For additional information about College Writing at Elon, please contact the College Writing Coordinator.