Sent February 14, 2023
Dear Parents and Families of the Class of 2023,
I am writing with updates for Undergraduate Commencement, on Friday, May 19, 2023.
Ceremonies will occur in two separate programs in Schar Center.
Elon College, The College of Arts and Sciences, and the Dr. Jo Watts Williams School of Education will award diplomas in a 9 a.m. ceremony, ending at approximately 11 a.m.
The Martha and Spencer Love School of Business and School of Communications will award diplomas in a 2:30 p.m. ceremony, ending at approximately 4:30 p.m.
Participating graduates will report to their respective diploma ceremony to form a line of march one hour and 15 minutes prior to the start time. Each ceremony will include both the class speaker and the keynote speaker followed by the reading of names and awarding of diplomas and charge by the president.
Each participating graduate will receive e-mail instructions to reserve and claim tickets for family/guests (maximum of 5 tickets). Graduates will reserve guest tickets from April 12 to April 17. If tickets remain, graduates will have the opportunity to request one additional ticket to their respective ceremony while quantities last. Graduates are responsible for reserving, claiming and distributing tickets for their guests.
Guests without tickets to the Schar Center ceremony may plan to watch the ceremony via large-screen format in Global Commons. The ceremonies will also be available by livestream through the university’s website.
Information regarding ticket distribution, event schedule, attending the indoor ceremony, alternate ceremony viewing and other information will be available beginning March 1 on the Commencement website at www.elon.edu/commencement.
The individual schools within the university will host receptions on Thursday, May 18 at 2:30 p.m. This is an opportunity for graduates and their families to spend time with faculty and staff from their major area of study.
Commencement for the Master of Education, Master of Arts in Higher Education, Master of Arts in Interactive Media, Master of Business Administration, Master of Science in Business Analytics and Master of Science in Accounting will occur on Wednesday, May 17 at 7 p.m. in Alumni Memorial Gym.
We offer our congratulations and look forward to celebrating with the Class of 2023 this May.
Cultural and Special Programs
Sent February 13, 2023
TO: Candidates of the Class of 2023
I am writing regarding Elon University’s Undergraduate Commencement, scheduled for Friday, May 19, 2023.
As previously announced, two ceremonies will take place in Schar Center:
- At 9 a.m., Elon College, the College of Arts and Sciences, and the Dr. Jo Watts Williams School of Education will award diplomas, ending at approximately 11:00 a.m.
- At 2:30 p.m., The Martha and Spencer Love School of Business and School of Communications will award diplomas, ending at approximately 4:30 p.m.
All guests attending ceremonies inside Schar Center will require an admission ticket. As the graduation candidate, you will be responsible for reserving tickets (“guest tickets”) up to a maximum of five (5). You will receive further e-mail instructions to reserve guest tickets between the dates of April 12 and April 17. This request period will close at 11:59 p.m. on April 17. You will not be able to reserve tickets after this time. There is no charge for guest tickets.
If tickets remain, you will be notified how you may request one (1) additional guest ticket beginning April 19. It is expected that all tickets will be claimed no later than April 21.
Claiming guest tickets
You will pick up guest tickets at Schar Center Ticket Office from May 1-5, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. On Saturday, May 6, tickets can be claimed between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. for candidates who are unavailable during weekday hours, e.g. due to internships or student teaching.
It is your responsibility to request, claim and distribute tickets to the guests who will use them on May 19.
Guests without tickets to Schar Center ceremonies may watch on a large-screen format in Global Commons. The ceremony will also be available by livestream for off-campus and distant viewing on personal devices.
Candidates, you are encouraged to pick up your maroon bachelor’s robe at the Grad Fair on Monday & Tuesday, April 3-4 (10 a.m. to.5 p.m.) at Barnes & Noble bookstore at 130 N. Williamson Ave. There is no charge for the cap and gown. You may also have your portrait photo taken by Phi Psi Cli for the Elon yearbook, and shop for commencement merchandise. Vendors will be on site to answer questions.
Plans are also underway for the following Senior Week events:
- Numen Lumen: Senior Baccalaureate Reflection, Under the Oaks on Tuesday, May 16 (for the Class of ’23)
- An evening Senior Celebration in Rhodes Stadium on Wednesday, May 17 (for the Class of ‘23)
- ROTC Commissioning ceremonies for Air Force and Army on Thursday, May 18
- ¡Celebremos! Graduates Take Flight stole ceremony dedicated to celebrating the efforts and successes of the Latinx/Hispanic graduates on Thursday, May 18 (participants will register with the Center for Race, Ethnicity and Diversity Education)
- The four schools represented by the graduating class will host receptions on Thursday, May 18 at 2:30 p.m. to provide an opportunity for candidates and their families to spend time with faculty and staff from their major area of study. (for the Class of ’23 and their guests)
- Donning of the Kente, Thursday, May 18 in Alumni Memorial Gym (candidates will register through Alumni Programs)
Information regarding the schedule and other details will be available on the Commencement website by March 1 at www.elon.edu/commencement. Information will be updated regularly throughout spring semester. For further information, please email email@example.com.
We offer our congratulations to you and look forward to celebrating with the Class of 2023 this May.
Cultural and Special Programs