Job & Internship Opportunities
Students majoring in Sport Management are required to complete 4-credit hours of SPT 3985 Internship in Sport Management. This course provides students with a full-time, 400+ hour experiential opportunity with an approved sport-related organization. Students show evidence of knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies by working directly with a sport management faculty mentor and an on-site agency mentor. This 4-credit hour course satisfies Elon’s Experiential Learning Requirement (ELR).
Students have previously interned with professional sports teams (e.g., Boston Red Sox, New York Jets, Carolina Panthers, and Carolina Hurricanes), league offices (e.g., NFL, NASCAR, PGA Tour), media companies (e.g., ESPN, FOX and NBC), college athletic departments, agencies and non-profit organizations.
Requirements & Registration
- Cumulative Elon GPA of 2.0 and 2.0 GPA in major coursework (verified by adviser)
- Completion of 90 semester hours prior to the start of the internship
- Work a minimum of 400 hours on-site
- Actual time frame should coincide with a university semester (Summer, Fall, or Spring)
- Completion of internship orientation
- Completion of application form
- Approval of internship by SPT academic advisor and SPT department chair
- Signed internship agreement from on-site agency mentor
- Completion of any other requirements designated by the Sport Management Department
*NOTE: SPT 381 is now labeled SPT 3985.
Watch the pre-recorded internship video above prior to filling out the application. Contact Associate Professor Shaina Dabbs, the department’s internship coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org with further questions.
- Once an internship offer is secured:
- Go to the Sport Management Students Moodle Page
- Find the “Internship Information” section
- Complete the Internship Application Form
- Submit the Internship Application Form, use Elon username and password
- The department chair will process your Ontrack registration for the course and will add you to the Moodle page.
- The Bursar’s office will bill you if: (a) this is a summer course, (b) you exceed the maximum credit hours during the regular term (18 credits) or winter term (4 credits), or (c) you are a part-time student.
Internship Application Deadline
Fall 2023 – Aug. 28, 2023
Spring 2024 – Feb. 7, 2024
Summer I – June 4, 2024
Summer II – July 9, 2024
Utilize the Elon Job Network
Be sure to activate and use your Elon Job Network (EJN) account to search for jobs and internships. Elon students and alumni have 24/7 access to this internal database, which allows employers to post jobs and internships, manage interview schedules, and register for on-campus events.
Intern in Los Angeles
Interested in interning in Los Angeles? Our Summer Elon in LA program offers courses and internship opportunities for those individuals interested in working in and around Hollywood. Learn more about this Study USA program here.