The value of the Elon Core Curriculum is more than its individual experiences. The process of integrating learning across multiple experiences creates new meaning, creative insights, easier transfer of knowledge to new situations, and greater adaptability in the real world.
To stimulate integrative learning, students should select courses and experiences that create meaningful connections across the Elon experience. Questions one might consider when choosing courses and experiences include the following:
- What courses will you take to explore new ways of thinking?
- What themes stretch across your courses?
- How does residential learning connect with your coursework?
- How could world language training better prepare you for study abroad?
- What experiential learning opportunities connect with your life goals?
- How might you achieve depth in a field outside your major?
- How do your experiences scaffold to create deeper meaning?
- What capstone experience might challenge you to integrate your prior experiences?