The annual effort kicked off in 2011 thanks in part to the work of an Elon alum serving with the armed forces in Afghanistan.
For an eighth year, the Elon University community is responding to the needs of Alamance County students by gathering school supplies and personal hygiene items for donation.
The annual school supplies drive by Elon faculty and staff will begin Monday, Aug. 20, with the collection of items such as new backpacks, bookbags, school supplies and personal care items at the opening reception, president’s address and community picnic on the first day of Planning Week. Collection of supplies at a variety of locations around campus will continue through Aug. 27.
The annual drive began in 2011 as the Elon community responded to an initiative to gather basic educational supplies for young children in Afghanistan that was launched by James Black ’09, then serving in the armed forces in that country. That collection effort sparked the idea for a drive to meet the needs of Alamance Burlington School System students that face the challenge of being properly equipped for the school year.
How great is the need? At the end of the 2016-17 school year, nearly 60 percent of students in the 36 Alamance Burlington School System schools were eligible for free and reduced meals. The ABSS Student Support Services team identified more than 650 students in 2017-18 who are lacking a permanent nighttime residence or are what many people term as “homeless”.
Elon faculty and staff are encouraged to donate backpacks, school supplies and personal hygiene supplies as well.
Students affiliated with the Student Government Association will collect items outside Schar Center from 8 to 10 a.m. on Aug. 20. Collection boxes will also be placed at locations around campus and SGA is willing to collect items from faculty and staff offices. Call x7200 before noon on Aug. 25 to arrange pick up. Law School faculty and staff members who wish to participate may drop off items in the Student Services Suite to be picked up on Aug. 27.
The need is greatest for the following school supply items:
- ·Book Bags (particularly for middle and high school students)
- 3-Ring Binders (1.5 in., 2 in., 2.5 in, and 3 in.)
- Notebook Paper (wide-ruled and college-ruled)
- Composition Notebooks (marble notebooks preferred over spiral bound)
- Pocket Folders (with prongs or without)
- Colored pencils
- Washable markers
- Glue sticks
- Pencil pouches
- Tab dividers
- Index cards
- Flash drives (4 gb +)
Among the person hygiene items needed are:
- body wash
- feminine hygiene products
Volunteers will separate and pack the supplies on the evening of Aug. 27 and the items will be delivered to ABSS on Aug. 28.
Drop boxes will be located at:
- Center for Leadership (Dean of Students Suite 105)
- Moseley Campus Center Information Desk
- Koury Field House (Athletics) – at reception desk
- Ellington Center (Faculty/Staff Health and Wellness)
- The Francis Center Main Lobby
- Alamance Rotunda (near room 109)
- Lindner Hall ( Outside Deans Suite, Room 104)
- Campus Shop ( Elon Town Center)
- Campus Safety and Police (Oaks)
- Koury Business Center Lobby
- Law School Deans Suite (Room 110-D)