An update from the Ready and Resilient Committee on the health check-in, testing and other requirements for the fall semester.
We are excited to welcome you back to campus this fall! Staff and faculty are working to ensure we have a vibrant fall semester on campus, focusing on the health and safety of all members of our community. Look for continued updates over the next six weeks as we finalize preparations for welcoming all students.
Below are updates on our comprehensive Ready & Resilient plans for the fall.
Schar Center Health Check-In—Details Forthcoming
All members of the Elon community will complete a health screening prior to the start of classes to help ensure the safety of our community. At the Health Check-In, students and family members will have their temperatures checked. Students will show proof of COVID-19 testing, completion of required health training and signing of the Healthy Elon Commitment. After the Health Check-In, students living in residence halls will receive instructions for move-in.
Students and families will receive relevant instructions for this entire process in the coming weeks. By July 10, returning students will be notified of their assigned time for their Health Check-In, which will be based on housing location. For returning students living in residence halls, Health Check-In times will be on either August 17 or 18.
COVID-19 Testing—Details Forthcoming
To participate in fall semester at Elon, all students, faculty and staff must complete COVID-19 testing before arriving on campus. There is no need for you to do anything at this point. More details about testing in advance of arrival, as well as plans for random testing and testing of symptomatic patients, will be shared later in July. We do ask students and families to limit exposure in the two weeks before coming to campus, to ensure a strong and healthy opening to the school year.
Health Screening App
Our Information Technology team is finalizing a health screening app that will be used daily by students, faculty and staff. The daily screening app will ensure we are all monitoring our health and know how to respond if symptoms appear.
Later in July, all students will be provided with links to required trainings about COVID-19, campus guidelines and practices that support a healthy campus this fall.
Committing to Keep Elon Healthy
As a prerequisite for living and learning at Elon this fall, all students, faculty and staff will be asked to sign a commitment to taking care of themselves, taking care of each other and taking care of the Elon community. This shared commitment aligns with the principles in the Elon Honor Code and is a required expectation of all members of our community this fall.
New Policy on Face Coverings
Everyone on campus is required to wear a face covering over the nose and mouth when indoors. Face coverings are also required outdoors when six-foot physical distancing cannot be maintained. You can read the full policy, as well as exceptions and accountability, and be prepared to bring numerous washable face coverings with you.
Residence Life has created a common set of social norms for living on campus this fall. Read the new Residence Life policies regarding residential visitation policy, room changes, healthy habits and cleaning standards.
Dining Hall Procedures
Dining operations have been completely redesigned to provide physical distancing, new serving stations and removal of self-service options. New menu items and the new Burger Joint have also been developed. All items will continue to be served in disposable containers. Retail dining will also add mobile ordering and to-go options. Read more about our dining hall procedures here.
Information Line—Starting Monday, July 6
Starting Monday, July 6, a special information line will be available for parents and students to call with questions regarding Ready & Resilient resources. You can call the Ready & Resilient Information Line during business hours Monday through Friday at 336-278-2020. As always, you can also send questions via email to Ready2020@Elon.edu.
We know you need information about fall semester and will share our next Ready & Resilient update by July 22. Questions? Please contact our hotline at 336-278-2020 (starting July 6), check the Ready & Resilient website or email Ready2020@Elon.edu.
The Ready & Resilient Committee
- Jeff Stein, Vice President for Strategic Initiatives and Assistant Professor of English (Chair)
- Dan Anderson, Vice President of University Communications
- Ginette Archinal, Medical Director of Student Health and University Physician
- MarQuita Barker, Director of Residence Life
- John Barnhill, Associate Vice President for University Advancement
- Tom Flood, Assistant Vice President of Physical Plant
- Jason Husser, Associate Professor of Political Science and Policy Studies, and Director of the Elon Poll (Academic Council Representative)
- Deandra Little, Assistant Provost, Director of the Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning and Professor of English
- Paul Miller, Assistant Provost for Academic Operations and Communications and Professor of Exercise Science
- Kelly Reimer, Director of Teaching and Learning Technologies (Staff Council Representative)
- Carrie Ryan, Director of Auxiliary Services
- Kelli Shuman, Associate Vice President for Human Resources & Chief Human Resources Officer
- Gabie Smith, Dean of Elon College, the College of Arts and Sciences and Professor of Psychology
- Mary Southern, Project Manager for Provost and Academic Affairs Operations (Project Manager)
- Mike Ward, Deputy Director of Athletics
- Randy Williams, Associate Vice President for Inclusive Excellence and Assistant Professor of Education