Ten students participated in the National Science Foundation-funded 2022 North Carolina A&T State University and Elon University Joint Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) in Mathematical Biology.
Ten students participated in the North Carolina A&T State University and Elon University Joint Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) in Mathematical Biology this past summer.
The National Science Foundation-funded program provided support for the students to participate in intense, mentored research projects over the course of nine weeks.
The students visited Elon’s campus to give their final presentations on Friday, July 29, 2022. Introductory remarks were given by the two co-directors, N.C. A&T State Professor of Mathematics Nicholas Luke and Elon Professor of Mathematics Karen Yokley. The students were welcomed on behalf of Elon by Professor of Mathematics Crista Arangala, who chairs Elon’s Mathematics and Statistics Department, and on behalf of N.C. A&T State University by Vincent Childress, associate dean of College of Science and Technology. The students who presented their research are listed below.
- Sarah Mirrow ’24 (Elon Honors Fellow) and Colton Waller (N.C. A&T State University), “Investigation of Silent Transmission: Mathematical Modeling of COVID-19 Incorporating Asymptomatic and Presymptomatic Spread,” mentored by Yokley.
- Ella Allan (Duke University) and Luc Brancheau (New Jersey Institute of Technology), “Effects of Route of Exposure in a Physiologically Based Pharmacokinetic (PBPK) Model of Borneol,” mentored by Luke.
- Colby Kinser (Center College) and Neil MacLachlan (University of Pittsburgh), “An Overview of Mathematical Models of Bipolar Mood,” mentored by Luke.
- Atira Glenn-Keough (Haverford College) and Jillian Thomas ’25 (Elon Honors Fellow), “Numerical Simulation of Jellyfish Swimming,” mentored by Ling Xu (NC A&T State University).
- Joshua (Caleb) Rivers-McCullough (Shenandoah University) and Suzan Taha (Southern New Hampshire University), “Epidemiology of the Influenza-A Virus Applied to Multi-Pen Pig Farms,” mentored by John Paul Roop (NC A&T State University).
Summer 2022 marks the third year of the REU program. Applications for the Summer 2023 program will be available near the end of 2022 at the following website: http://www.ncat-elon-jointreu.info/.