Elon's annual school supply drive returns on Aug. 14 and will last all of Planning Week.
Since 2011, Elon faculty and staff have donated thousands of needed school supply items to children of Alamance County. This initiative began when James Black ’09, serving in the armed forces in Afghanistan, helped young children gain access to basic educational materials.
As a community, Elon faculty and staff pulled together to support his efforts, but also recognized Elon’s leadership responsibility to “act locally” and helped alleviate some of the needs in Alamance County. That original drive benefitted both the children abroad and here at home.
The university is excited to continue its commitment to the local community and asks that students, faculty and staff consider donating needed supplies for students in the Alamance Burlington School System (ABSS). Last year, the ABSS Student Support Services team (connected to the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act) supported over 540 children and families experiencing homelessness. It is anticipated that the need will be greater this year.
How to Participate
Members of the Elon community can participate in one of the following ways:
1. Bring supplies to the President’s Address on Monday, August 14, in Alumni Gym, the traditional “kick-off” to this drive.
2. Purchase and drop off supplies August 14-21 in one of the collection boxes on campus:
- Moseley Campus Center (near Young Commons entrance)
- Koury Center (concourse near Young Commons entrance)
- Belk Library (front entrance near Young Commons)
- Alamance Building (in the rotunda near room 109)
- Powell Building (at front entrance)
- Mooney Building (student lounge area)
- Lindner Hall (near room 104)
- Koury Business Center (lobby)
- Founders Hall (NEW: lobby near large stairs)
- Schar Hall (in Snow Family Atrium)
- Francis Center (Main Lobby)
- Janice Ratliff building (in the lobby)
- Ellington Center (Faculty/Staff Health and Wellness)
- Johnston Hall (NEW: near entrance)
- Campus Shop (Elon Town Center)
- Campus Safety and Police (Oaks)
- Campus Technology Services Building (near the entrance)
- Business Services building (front entrance)
- Facilities Management Building (front office)
3. Purchase school supplies online and have them shipped to the Student Government Association (SGA), 2979 Campus Box, 100 Campus Drive, Elon, NC 27244. (They must be delivered by August 21.)
4. Call (336) 278-7109 if you have donations and cannot locate a drop-off box. An SGA leader will come to pick up the donation.
5. Law School faculty and staff members may contact Stacie Dooley, Assistant Dean of Career & Student Development. We will coordinate with Stacie to collect your donations.
While all school supplies are welcomed and appreciated, particularly new backpacks or book bags, our partners at ABSS have shared their greatest needs including:
- new backpacks or book bags (best if they can span ages and levels)
- 3-ring binders (1.5, 2, 2.5, and 3-inch)
- notebook paper (wide-ruled and college-ruled)
- composition notebooks
- pocket folders (with or without prongs)
- colored pencils
- washable markers
- flash drives (4GB or greater)
Personal care items
- body wash
- feminine hygiene products
- hand sanitizer
- gas cards
- food cards
- Ziploc bags
- student sized-masks