Assistant Professor of Journalism :
• B.S., Oral Roberts University; M.F.A., Temple University; J.D., North Carolina Central
• Joins us from teaching at Palm Beach Atlantic University; previously worked as an investigative reporter and weekend anchor with WPEC-TV and WTVX-TV in West Palm Beach, Florida.
•Scholarly interests: media law, solutions journalism, entrepreneurial journalism, first amendment and speech.
Executive Director, North Carolina Local News Workshop :
• B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; M. A., American University
• Former Director of Produce Engagement and Strategy at McClatchy
• Professional interests: helping local news organizations reinvent and sustain reliable, high-quality journalism and information for North Carolina residents
Lecturer in Strategic Communications:
• B.A., Brown University; M.P.H., University of North Carolina
• Most recently, she has served as Senior Vice President at LJ Enterprises, Inc. where she provided services for public health, health-related education, non-profit and government clients.
• Scholarly interests: health communications
Assistant Professor of Strategic Communications:
• B.A., University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee; M.S., Mississippi College; Ph.D., Asusa Pacific University
• Karen previously taught at Texas Christian University.
•Scholarly interests: Leadership Identity Development of Black Women in Male-Normed Corporate and Higher Education Settings, Intersections of Race, Gender, and Leadership, Impact of Social Media on Women of Color Leadership Identity
Lecturer, Cinema & Television Arts:
•B.A., North Carolina A&T; M.F.A., Howard University
• Previously taught as a part-time instructor at Elon, Institute of Art Raleigh/Durham, Shaw University, St. Augustine’s University, and North Carolina A&T; worked as writer, editor, director, host, director of photography, producer, and video switcher
• Scholarly interests: social movements, producing multimedia, diversity, equity and inclusion
Lecturer in Cinema & Television Arts Department:
• B.A., University of North Carolina; M.F.A., University of Iowa
• Previously taught as a part-time instructor at Elon and the University of Iowa’s Dept of Cinematic Arts; worked as writer, editor, colorist and director on multiple documentaries
• Scholarly interests: script writing, television production, film production, theatre arts