The Pendulum, Colonnades honored by state media association
The student media organizations were both recognized as NCCMA Best of Show winners.
The Pendulum and Colonnades were awarded individual and Best of Show awards on Feb. 15 by the North Carolina College Media Association.
Hundreds of entries from more than 20 media outlets submitted materials for awards consideration. Below is a list of only the Elon winners. (Numbers next to the names indicate the place students finished in a particular category.)
NEWSPAPER—SMALL SCHOOL (6,500 student enrollment and less)
Best of Show—Newspaper
Best of Show—Online News
Single- or Two-Page Design
2. Kristen Case—“What's Going on in the Kitchen” (pg. 4)
1. Rebecca Iannucci and Jason Puckett—“How much is too much? Elon University struggles to maintain balance between quality, cost”
2. Nicole Esplin—“The BBQ state: Unique origins of barbecue define North Carolina history, culture”
1. Katherine Blunt—“Scared into silence: Sexual assault persists as underreported college crime”
2. Alana Romans—“Finding a place to call home: Chaplain Janet Fuller remembers challenging past to guide students in their faith”
3. Jonathan Black—"Taking the bar digital: Smart phone app Grindr emphasizes hookups, soars in gay community"
HM: Abby Franklin—"Seeing black, feeling color: Music education student overcomes disability to express art"
2. Matt Krause—“The forgotten one: Crispi plays small but vital role for Elon football”
3. Andrew Wilson—“Road to the pros: Former Elon keeper catches a break”
1. The Pendulum Staff—“The future can wait: Elon needs to build for now”
HM: The Pendulum Staff—“Chick-fil-A (and its symbolism) to remain on campus”
Best of Show
3. Rob Shapiro—"Almost There"
3. Jaqueline Alnes—"The Land"
HM: Kelsey Camacho—"From a Tightrope"
2. Noelle Casimo—"Young Death, Old Life"
The awards are typically handed out during the NCCMA's annual conference. The planned gathering at the University of North Carolina at Asheville was canceled this year because of the weather, so awards results were announced online.