School of Education

Student Frequently Asked Questions

How and when do I declare my major or minor?

It is wise to officially declare your major or minor as soon as possible after you have made a decision to pursue a program in the School of Education. The requirements for teacher licensure programs involve courses to help you understand the content you will teach as well as courses to assist you in learning how to teach and work with diverse students and their families. Declaring your major early allows you to be assigned an advisor in your program who is knowledgeable and can guide you regarding the correct courses in the proper sequence. Declaring your major or minor also puts you on mailing lists so that you can stay informed about events and opportunities.

Declare your major or minor online

How and when do I apply to the teacher education program?

You should begin the process of applying for admission to the Teacher Education Program while you are taking EDU 211/School and Society or SOC 243/Sociology of Education. While you may need to meet additional requirements before you can be fully admitted, you can submit your application during EDU 211 or SOC 243 and it will be held until you are eligible for admission. Should you decide not to pursue a teaching career, you may withdraw your application to the program at any time.

Admission to the Teacher Education program is required prior to enrollment in any education courses numbered at the 300 level or higher.

View instructions and download teacher education application

How and when do I apply to student teach?

Student teaching is the culmination of a year-long clinical experience that typically begins in fall semester of your senior year. During that fall semester, you will apply for spring student teaching. You will need to read the Student Teaching Handbook and submit your electronic signature indicating your agreement to it. You should print and complete the student teaching application and personal data sheet and return them both to Ms. Richards in Mooney 102 no later than October 15.

What is the licensure portfolio?

One of the requirements for a NC teaching license (see next question below) is completion and submission of evidences that demonstrate your proficiency of the North Carolina Professional Teaching Standards (pdf).

The products you include as evidence of your proficiency will be created as part of your course work and should be assembled into an online portfolio created in Digication. 

How and when do I apply for a North Carolina teaching license?

Upon successful completion of all NC teacher licensure requirements, Elon's teacher education program is able to recommend you for a NC teaching license. At the conclusion of your student teaching experience, the Teacher Education Office will communicate information to you about necessary forms and expenses associated with a NC teaching license, and you will be instructed about steps required to complete the licensure application.

For more information about the testing requirements for NC licensure, see

  • Praxis: North Carolina Test Requirements - Scroll down on the page to the section labeled "Tests Required for Specific Licensure Areas" to read about the test(s) required for your licensure area. If you have already been admitted to teacher education and are at the point of applying for a license, the section on tests required for all licensure areas does not apply to you. These tests were required  prior to admisson to teacher education, but only if SAT/ACT minimum scores were not achieved. 
  • Foundations of Reading/General Curriculum tests must be completed if you are seeking a license in Elementary Education or Special Education. See State Board of Education Licensure Exam Requirements. Miniumum scores were set in September 2014 as follows: Foundations of Reading (229), General Curriculum: Mathematics (227), and General Curriculum: Multi-Subjects (227).