Sponsored Programs

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the fringe benefit rates?
Faculty (academic year): 25.6%
Faculty (summer pay): 7.65%
Administrative Staff: 26.4%
Clerical/Administrative Support Staff: 34.1%
Staff (part time): 15%

Students: 7.65% -- only if paid a stipend

What is the indirect cost rate?
51.8% of Salaries and Wages on campus
26.5% of Salaries and Wages off campus

What are the Congressional and Senate districts' numbers for Elon?
Congressional District: 6
NC State House District: 64
NC State Senate District: 24

How much should I pay my students (graduate & undergraduate)?
The Dean's Office of your respective college can best answer that question, as different schools and disciplines pay different rates.

Do I need to submit letters of collaboration when submitting a preliminary proposal?
The letters are necessary at the time of the preliminary proposal submission as you are committing another institution or person to work on your program, unless otherwise stated in the program guidlines.

How much do I pay a consultant?
A consultant should be paid on the basis of their history of consultancy fees noting that there is a federal cap for some agencies. See:
Maximum Consultant Rates for Federal Grants.

Where at the university can I get cost-sharing for my proposal?
The place to start when requesting cost-sharing is at the Dean level, followed by the Sponsored Programs and Academic Affairs.

How do I list other Elon faculty on grants if they are not a co-PI?
They may be listed by name and department with pertinent percentage of time.

What are the Federal ID (Tax Exempt) & DUNS?
Elon's Federal ID (Tax Exempt) Number: 56-0532303
DUNS Number: 071574552

What items may be listed as match or cost share?
The main area of cost sharing is equipment, personnel or travel. All of these items are easy to document when the grant/contract ends. All costsharing is subject to university approval.

How do I contact Sponsored Programs?
Elon University
Sponsored Programs
Campus Box 2610
Elon, NC 27244
Phone: (336) 278-6603
E-mails: bbruno2@elon.edu

What are Elon's our Federal-Wide Assurance (FWA) and IRB number?
FWA #: 00003374
IRB #: 00002430

How are limited submission proposals handled?

If you are planning to submit a proposal for a funding opportunity with limited submission, contact the Office Sponsored Programs (OSP) via email at bbruno2@elon.edu with “limited submission” in the subject line. To expedite the process of planning an internal competition, please notify the OSP of your intent as soon as you know you have an interest in the funding program. The email should contain the name of the Principal Investigator, any co-PI’s, and the subject or title of the proposed project. The deadline for notifying the OSP is a minimum of four weeks before the agency deadline.

Notification of internal competition
Participants will be notified on the day following the notice of intent deadline about the need for an internal competition to select the allowed number of applications to be sent forward to the funding agency. If the number of participants does not exceed the number of allowable submissions no internal competition will be necessary.

The internal pre-proposal
If there are more potential applicants than the agency’s limit allows, an internal competition will be held to select the proposals that will be allowed to go forward. In this case, a brief pre-proposal will be required. Detailed instructions for preparing the pre-proposal will be sent via email to those who have contacted the OSP with their intent to submit once the need for an internal competition has been established. A committee will meet to discuss the submissions. You will be notified approximately five to seven days days of the results.

My grant is ending and I would like to transfer remaining funds to a miscellaneous account. What do I need to do?
Please contact the Director of Accounting Lorraine Allen at ext. 5260.

My grant calls for a subcontract to be prepared. How do I go about it?
In order for to prepare a subcontract, the PI must provide the following information to the Sponsored Programs Office:

  1. The grant account number for the project
  2. The name of the entity which Elon is subcontracting
  3. The statement of work for the subcontractor
  4. The budget for the subcontractor
  5. The period of performance for the subcontract
  6. The name, address, telephone, fax and email address for the subcontractors: PI and contract administrator
  7. How the subcontractor is to invoice Elon: Monthly, quarterly, by a set schedule (provide the schedule dates for invoicing); pursuant to a deliverables schedule (if via a deliverables schedule, please provide that schedule).
  8. The name and address of the person to whom we should send the subcontract for signing (if different than the contract person).