The Preceptor Program at Elon Law
One of Elon University School of Law's distinctions is its Preceptor Program, through which over 50 experienced lawyers from a broad range of practice settings mentor law students.
Preceptors observe first-year students in law classes, after which they meet with each student to provide feedback, facilitating a reflection process that helps students continuously improve in their preparation and development as aspiring lawyers.
Preceptors also welcome students to accompany them to observe trials, initial client interviews, depositions and mediations.
Preceptors are an integral part of the Elon Law experience. They visit with students through informal social events at the law school, make guest appearances as speakers and panelists, and welcome correspondence with students for whom they serve as mentors.
"I did not know many lawyers when I arrived at law school, so the preceptor program, connecting us to practicing lawyers who could serve as mentors, helped to demystify the practice of law."
"The law school hosts events regularly for practicing attorneys to have tea with students and to discuss the legal profession. They give us the benefit of their knowledge and experience. It has been an incredible opportunity to have local attorneys coming in and mentoring us."
Preceptors at Elon Law represent a broad cross-section of the legal profession, including the following firms and institutions:
• Brooks Pierce McLendon Humphrey & Leonard, LLP
• Burton & Sue, LLP
• Caruthers & Roth, PA
• Connor Gwyn Schenk, PLLC
• Forman Rossabi & Black, P.A.
• Gabriel, Berry & Weston, LLP
• Greensboro Bar Association
• Guilford County Public Defender’s Office
• Higgins Benjamin Eagles & Adams, PLLC
• Hill Evans Jordan & Beatty, PLLC
• J. Ray Deal, PLLC
• Johnson Peddrick & McDonald, PLLC
• Legal Aid of North Carolina
• MacCord Mason, PLLC
• Morgenstern & Bonuomo, PLLC
• Nexsen Pruet, PLLC
• North Carolina Office of the Attorney General
• Office of the Federal Public Defender, Middle District of North Carolina
• Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, PC
• Pinto Coates Kyre & Brown, PLLC
• Robertson Medlin & Blocker, PLLC
• Sharpless & Stavoia, PA
• Schell Bray Aycock Abel & Livingston, PLLC
• Smith Moore Leatherwood, LLP
• Tuggle Duggins & Maschan, P.A.
• U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
• Vernon, Vernon, Wooten, Brown, Andrews & Garrett, P.A.
• VF Corporation
• Wilhoit Pugh & Allen, LLP
• Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice, PLLC
• Wyatt Early Harris Wheeler, LLP
• Younce, Moore & Moseley, LLP