- Elon Law professor remembered for generosity & kindness
Students and colleagues at a celebration of life praised Michael L. Rich, the university's Maurice Jennings Emerging Scholar and an associate professor who died in December, for his selflessness, his passion for teaching and research, and his deep love of family.
- Elon Law alumni honored for achievements & service
The Elon Law Alumni Association recognized Kristin Thompson Seum '10 L'13, Jim Grant L’12, Adrianne Edmonds Poe L'11 and Angelique Ryan L'16 for contributions to their professions, their communities, and their alma mater during Elon Law Alumni Reunion Weekend.
- A celebration of Elon Law's 10th anniversary
Supporters of Elon University School of Law gathered March 17 for a special luncheon to recognize the collective efforts of community, civic, and philanthropic leaders who helped launch "a law school with a difference."
- Elon Law hosts #ElonDay festivities
Students, faculty and staff gathered for morning biscuits and a lunchtime cake on March 7 as part of #ElonDay, the single-largest day of giving in Elon University history.
- Former ABA president to deliver Elon Law Commencement address
Virginia attorney Robert J. Grey Jr. will offer wisdom to graduates on May 20, 2017, in Elon Law’s final springtime Commencement as the school fully transitions to its new 2.5-year curriculum.
- Creating a Legacy: Alumnus gives back to Elon with generous estate gift
Nick Livengood ’12 L’15 of Durham, N.C., made his gift to ensure that his university continues to thrive for generations to come.
- Alumni Involvement Week connects Elon Law students and graduates
Elon Law students built professional networks and learned more about opportunities in specific areas of law during a weeklong event welcoming more than 40 alumni back to campus.
- Elon Law alumni named among 'Top 40 Under 40'
David L. Morrow II ’07 L’10, Elon University’s special advisor to the president and assistant chief of staff, and Gwendolyn Lewis L’13, alumni director at Elon Law, are being honored for their professional achievements, leadership and community involvement.
- Elon Law celebrates Class of 2017 early graduates
The law school community gathered Dec. 15, 2016, to recognize 10 students who completed their legal studies a semester early while, in the words of Elon Law Dean Luke Bierman, “leaving this place better than you found it.”
- Death of Associate Professor Michael L. Rich
The Maurice Jennings Emerging Scholar and an associate professor at Elon University School of Law died Dec. 7, 2016, following a lengthy illness.
- Alumna's election marks milestone for Elon Law
Carrie Vickery L'09 will be the first Elon Law alumna to preside from a bench after winning her campaign this month to serve residents of Forsyth County as a District Court judge.
- Immigration law seminar brings legal leaders to Elon Law
More than 120 attorneys, students, faculty, staff and alumni took part in October's sixth annual Immigration Law Seminar hosted by Elon Law's Humanitarian Immigration Law Clinic.
- Elon Law launches first North Carolina alumni chapter
Amber Allen L'14 and Haynes Dallas G'05 L'09 will serve three-year terms as the chapter's inaugural leadership team.
- Elon Law grad featured on WRAL for immigration work
Before she graduated in May, Angelique Ryan L'16 traveled to Ethiopia to advocate for a family separated by war, and a top North Carolina television station covered that family's reunification this week at Raleigh-Durham International Airport.
- Elon Law & WECT-TV host 'Ask A Lawyer' Call-In
Elon University School of Law alumni and staff fielded phone calls from residents of Wilmington, North Carolina, and nearby communities in a June 21 televised program that offered answers to viewers unsure of where to turn for help with their legal questions.
- Gergen Award recipient eyes career in criminal law
Marissa Kuzbyt L'16 accepted Elon University School of Law's highest honor at May's Commencement when she received the 2016 David Gergen Award for Leadership & Professionalism.
- Dean's Reception honors Class of 2016
On the eve of Elon University School of Law's Commencement, graduates and their loved ones celebrated the completion of their legal studies in a program that included recognition of Mark Funkhouser L’16 and Joshua Bonney L’16 for their academic achievements & service.
- 'Ensure that people's rights don't suffer'
In his Commencement address to Elon University School of Law’s Class of 2016, Judge Albert Diaz of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit encouraged graduates to use their legal education to help "reason, law, and precedent triumph over might, caprice, and whim."
- A brutal crime leads survivor to Elon Law
Catastrophic injuries from a 2008 attack offered Deborah Moy, who graduates this month from Elon University School of Law, a unique perspective on disability rights, firsthand knowledge of how the American criminal justice system is far from perfect - and a renewed purpose in life.
- Elon Law launches first alumni chapter at D.C. event
The inaugural leadership of the new chapter consists of Matthew Groves L'11 as chapter chair and Karima Grady L'13 as chapter vice chair.
- Elon Law alumni honored for service to legal profession & alma mater
Four accomplished Elon University School of Law graduates – David L. Morrow II '07 L’10, Jennifer L. Reutter L’10, Alvaro De La Calle L’12 and Elizabeth “Beth” Klein L’12 – were recognized this month for their contributions to the legal profession and support of their alma mater.
- Professionalism conference helps inform Elon Law students
Chief Judge Linda McGee and Professor Olympia Duhart of Nova Southeastern University were among the legal voices who spoke at Elon University School of Law in April for a symposium on professionalism and intercultural engagement.
- Elon Law alumnae selected for statewide leadership program
Elon Law alumnae Nikki Feliciano and Gwendolyn Lewis have been selected to participate in the North Carolina Bar Association’s Leadership Academy, a statewide leadership training program for young lawyers.
- Elon Law alumnus recognized for national leadership by Triad Business Journal
Elon Law alumnus Collin Cooper has been named one of the Triad Business Journal’s "40 Leaders Under Forty" in recognition of his professional achievements and national leadership advancing diversity in the profession of law.
- Elon Law alumnus tapped to lead pilot program at state supreme court
Elon Law alumnus Grant Buckner L’13 is the Supreme Court of North Carolina’s first Director of the Office of Central Staff, a new office created by the Administrative Office of the Courts to increase the efficiency of the Supreme Court in adjudicating cases.
- Alumni spotlight: Daniel Watts
- Alumnus Daniel Watts describes Elon Law as "daring, dynamic and encouraging." His law school experiences include a U.S. attorney's office externship, a federal judicial clerkship and a federal public defender internship. Watch his video commentary on the value of Elon Law experiences.
- Elon Law’s Alumni Involvement Week builds connections
Elon Law’s inaugural Alumni Involvement Week, held Oct. 19-22, welcomed dozens of alumni to share insights with students and strengthen professional connections.
- Melissa Duncan receives Elon University Young Alumna of the Year award
Elon Law's associate director of student and professional life was recognized for her leadership in the legal profession and as an undergraduate and law student at Elon.
- Elon Law alumnus Mital Patel recognized as a 2015 Leader in the Law
Elon Law alumnus Mital Patel L’09 was recognized by North Carolina Lawyers Weekly as a 2015 “Leader in the Law” at a Sept. 25 luncheon in Charlotte, NC before an audience of leading lawyers from across the state.
- South Carolina law alumni spotlight
Elon Law alumni are making a difference for their clients and communities in South Carolina, including three Elon Law lawyer-leaders profiled here: James Knox L’11, Chantelle Neese L’13 and John Warren L’13.
- Five Elon Law alumni honored at reunion weekend
Elon Law’s 2015 Reunion Weekend included a Class of 2010 fifth-year reunion dinner, a Continuing Legal Education (CLE) seminar, an affinity group brunch, a family fun day luncheon, a race for women’s health and an evening reception at the O.Henry Hotel where five alumni were recognized for achievement and professional service.
- Alvaro R. De La Calle L’12 wins top “Legal Elite” recognition in Business North Carolina
Fewer than three percent of the state’s lawyers were named to Business North Carolina magazine’s “Legal Elite” in 2015, including De La Calle, who won the “Young Guns” category, and eight other Elon Law alumni.
- Elon engages Leading Edge conference on legal education
Elon Law student Joshua Bonney and alumnus Andrew Realon were part of a national conference examining change in legal education sponsored by Wolters Kluwer.
- Giving victims a voice
Part of an elite team of JAGs, Steven “Luke” Spencer L ’09 works for the U.S. Air Force Special Victims’ Counsel providing support to victims of sexual assault.
- Elon Law alumnae represent latino women and children seeking asylum in U.S.
WUNC radio’s The State of Things recently featured the legal advocacy of Elon Law alumnae Allison Lukanich L’12 and Natalie Teague L’09 on behalf of women and children fleeing gangs and violence in Central America.
- Gwendolyn Lewis named Alumni Director at Elon Law
Elon Law Dean Luke Bierman today announced attorney and Elon Law alumna Gwendolyn W. Lewis as the law school’s founding Alumni Director.
- Elon Law professor and two alumni among North Carolina Bar Association Leadership Academy graduates
Christopher Anglin L’11, Mital Patel L’09 and Elon Law Professor Hannah Vaughan, director of the law school’s Elder Law Clinic, were among 16 attorneys recognized in June for completion of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Leadership Academy.
- Alumnus David Morrow II ’07 L’10 receives Trailblazer Award
The award, given by the National Bar Association, recognizes young lawyers under the age of 40 who demonstrate unprecedented achievement in law practice, politics, business or public service.
- Janison Dillon named director of the NC Center for Financial Literacy
An April 29 News & Observer article reports that Elon Law alumna Janison Dillon L’13 is leading a new organization of the North Carolina Bankers Association, created to broaden financial literacy across North Carolina.
- Elon Law Reunion Weekend features first alumni awards
As part of Elon Law Reunion Weekend, four alumni were recognized for professional and philanthropic achievement, the Class of 2009 celebrated its five-year reunion and alumni celebrated the contributions of Dean George R. Johnson, Jr. to the early successes of the law school.
- Elon Law alumnus strengthens state's entrepreneurial ecosystem
A passion for entrepreneurship has taken Mital Patel L’09 beyond his law practice in Raleigh, N.C., to conference rooms around the world—including the White House.
- Brennan Aberle featured “fighting for the underdog”
“I get to be the person who’s there for someone when no one else is there,” said Elon Law alumnus Brennan Aberle in a News & Record article about the Guilford County Public Defender’s Office.
- Four Elon Law alumni named Super Lawyers Rising Stars
Leslie P. Lasher L'09, Andrew Nettleman L'09, Stephen Shaw L'10 and Ryan H. Stewart L'09 have been selected as 2014 Rising Stars by Super Lawyers rating service, a recognition earned by no more than 2.5 percent of attorneys 40 or younger or in practice for 10 years or less.
- Elon Law alumni step forward and give back
Through the successful DRIVE to 25, Elon Law alumni achieved a 25 percent giving rate in support of law school student scholarships.
- Alumnus Chad Hinton elected to county leadership position
Elon Law alumnus Chad Hinton L’09 will serve as chairman of the Edgecombe County Board of Elections.
- Alumnus David Morrow receives National Bar Association award
The NBA's Junius W. Williams Young Lawyer of the Year Award recognizes the many contributions young lawyers have made to our society.
- Alumni highlight strengths of Elon Law
Elon Law alumni who are excelling as attorneys in law and consulting firms, corporations and government agencies recently reflected on valuable aspects of their legal education, including small class sizes, students’ close working relationships with faculty, the breadth of professional networking opportunities offered at Elon and the law school’s emphasis on trial advocacy and communication skills development.
- Collin Cooper receives ABA honors
Elon Law alumnus Collin Cooper L’12 was recently named Associate Editor of The Young Lawyer, a publication of the Young Lawyers Division (YLD) of the American Bar Association (ABA), as well as an ABA YLD Scholar for 2013-2014.
- David Morrow named an ABA Business Law Fellow
Elon alumnus David Morrow II ’07, L’10 will serve on national committees of the American Bar Association as part of the highly competitive two-year fellowship.
- Judicial Selection article by John Warren accepted for publication by Washington University Jurisprudence Review
The Washington University Jurisprudence Review, a law journal of Washington University School of Law, will publish an article examining judicial elections, authored by Elon Law alumnus John Warren L’13, in spring of 2014.