- Elon Law & WECT-TV host 'Ask A Lawyer' Call-In
Elon University School of Law alumni and staff fielded phone calls from residents of Wilmington, North Carolina, and nearby communities in a June 21 televised program that offered answers to viewers unsure of where to turn for help with their legal questions.
- Gergen Award recipient eyes career in criminal law
Marissa Kuzbyt L'16 accepted Elon University School of Law's highest honor at May's Commencement when she received the 2016 David Gergen Award for Leadership & Professionalism.
- Dean's Reception honors Class of 2016
On the eve of Elon University School of Law's Commencement, graduates and their loved ones celebrated the completion of their legal studies in a program that included recognition of Mark Funkhouser L’16 and Joshua Bonney L’16 for their academic achievements & service.
- 'Ensure that people's rights don't suffer'
In his Commencement address to Elon University School of Law’s Class of 2016, Judge Albert Diaz of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit encouraged graduates to use their legal education to help "reason, law, and precedent triumph over might, caprice, and whim."
- A brutal crime leads survivor to Elon Law
Catastrophic injuries from a 2008 attack offered Deborah Moy, who graduates this month from Elon University School of Law, a unique perspective on disability rights, firsthand knowledge of how the American criminal justice system is far from perfect - and a renewed purpose in life.
- Elon Law launches first alumni chapter at D.C. event
The inaugural leadership of the new chapter consists of Matthew Groves L'11 as chapter chair and Karima Grady L'13 as chapter vice chair.
- Elon Law alumni honored for service to legal profession & alma mater
Four accomplished Elon University School of Law graduates – David L. Morrow II '07 L’10, Jennifer L. Reutter L’10, Alvaro De La Calle L’12 and Elizabeth “Beth” Klein L’12 – were recognized this month for their contributions to the legal profession and support of their alma mater.
- Professionalism conference helps inform Elon Law students
Chief Judge Linda McGee and Professor Olympia Duhart of Nova Southeastern University were among the legal voices who spoke at Elon University School of Law in April for a symposium on professionalism and intercultural engagement.
- Elon Law alumnae selected for statewide leadership program
Elon Law alumnae Nikki Feliciano and Gwendolyn Lewis have been selected to participate in the North Carolina Bar Association’s Leadership Academy, a statewide leadership training program for young lawyers.
- Elon Law alumnus recognized for national leadership by Triad Business Journal
Elon Law alumnus Collin Cooper has been named one of the Triad Business Journal’s "40 Leaders Under Forty" in recognition of his professional achievements and national leadership advancing diversity in the profession of law.
- Elon Law alumnus tapped to lead pilot program at state supreme court
Elon Law alumnus Grant Buckner L’13 is the Supreme Court of North Carolina’s first Director of the Office of Central Staff, a new office created by the Administrative Office of the Courts to increase the efficiency of the Supreme Court in adjudicating cases.
- Alumni spotlight: Daniel Watts
- Alumnus Daniel Watts describes Elon Law as "daring, dynamic and encouraging." His law school experiences include a U.S. attorney's office externship, a federal judicial clerkship and a federal public defender internship. Watch his video commentary on the value of Elon Law experiences.
- Elon Law’s Alumni Involvement Week builds connections
Elon Law’s inaugural Alumni Involvement Week, held Oct. 19-22, welcomed dozens of alumni to share insights with students and strengthen professional connections.
- Melissa Duncan receives Elon University Young Alumna of the Year award
Elon Law's associate director of student and professional life was recognized for her leadership in the legal profession and as an undergraduate and law student at Elon.
- Elon Law alumnus Mital Patel recognized as a 2015 Leader in the Law
Elon Law alumnus Mital Patel L’09 was recognized by North Carolina Lawyers Weekly as a 2015 “Leader in the Law” at a Sept. 25 luncheon in Charlotte, NC before an audience of leading lawyers from across the state.
- South Carolina law alumni spotlight
Elon Law alumni are making a difference for their clients and communities in South Carolina, including three Elon Law lawyer-leaders profiled here: James Knox L’11, Chantelle Neese L’13 and John Warren L’13.
- Five Elon Law alumni honored at reunion weekend
Elon Law’s 2015 Reunion Weekend included a Class of 2010 fifth-year reunion dinner, a Continuing Legal Education (CLE) seminar, an affinity group brunch, a family fun day luncheon, a race for women’s health and an evening reception at the O.Henry Hotel where five alumni were recognized for achievement and professional service.
- Alvaro R. De La Calle L’12 wins top “Legal Elite” recognition in Business North Carolina
Fewer than three percent of the state’s lawyers were named to Business North Carolina magazine’s “Legal Elite” in 2015, including De La Calle, who won the “Young Guns” category, and eight other Elon Law alumni.
- Elon engages Leading Edge conference on legal education
Elon Law student Joshua Bonney and alumnus Andrew Realon were part of a national conference examining change in legal education sponsored by Wolters Kluwer.
- Giving victims a voice
Part of an elite team of JAGs, Steven “Luke” Spencer L ’09 works for the U.S. Air Force Special Victims’ Counsel providing support to victims of sexual assault.
- Elon Law alumnae represent latino women and children seeking asylum in U.S.
WUNC radio’s The State of Things recently featured the legal advocacy of Elon Law alumnae Allison Lukanich L’12 and Natalie Teague L’09 on behalf of women and children fleeing gangs and violence in Central America.
- Gwendolyn Lewis named Alumni Director at Elon Law
Elon Law Dean Luke Bierman today announced attorney and Elon Law alumna Gwendolyn W. Lewis as the law school’s founding Alumni Director.
- Elon Law professor and two alumni among North Carolina Bar Association Leadership Academy graduates
Christopher Anglin L’11, Mital Patel L’09 and Elon Law Professor Hannah Vaughan, director of the law school’s Elder Law Clinic, were among 16 attorneys recognized in June for completion of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Leadership Academy.
- Alumnus David Morrow II ’07 L’10 receives Trailblazer Award
The award, given by the National Bar Association, recognizes young lawyers under the age of 40 who demonstrate unprecedented achievement in law practice, politics, business or public service.
- Janison Dillon named director of the NC Center for Financial Literacy
An April 29 News & Observer article reports that Elon Law alumna Janison Dillon L’13 is leading a new organization of the North Carolina Bankers Association, created to broaden financial literacy across North Carolina.
- Elon Law Reunion Weekend features first alumni awards
As part of Elon Law Reunion Weekend, four alumni were recognized for professional and philanthropic achievement, the Class of 2009 celebrated its five-year reunion and alumni celebrated the contributions of Dean George R. Johnson, Jr. to the early successes of the law school.
- Elon Law alumnus strengthens state's entrepreneurial ecosystem
A passion for entrepreneurship has taken Mital Patel L’09 beyond his law practice in Raleigh, N.C., to conference rooms around the world—including the White House.
- Brennan Aberle featured “fighting for the underdog”
“I get to be the person who’s there for someone when no one else is there,” said Elon Law alumnus Brennan Aberle in a News & Record article about the Guilford County Public Defender’s Office.
- Four Elon Law alumni named Super Lawyers Rising Stars
Leslie P. Lasher L'09, Andrew Nettleman L'09, Stephen Shaw L'10 and Ryan H. Stewart L'09 have been selected as 2014 Rising Stars by Super Lawyers rating service, a recognition earned by no more than 2.5 percent of attorneys 40 or younger or in practice for 10 years or less.
- Elon Law alumni step forward and give back
Through the successful DRIVE to 25, Elon Law alumni achieved a 25 percent giving rate in support of law school student scholarships.
- Alumnus Chad Hinton elected to county leadership position
Elon Law alumnus Chad Hinton L’09 will serve as chairman of the Edgecombe County Board of Elections.
- Alumnus David Morrow receives National Bar Association award
The NBA's Junius W. Williams Young Lawyer of the Year Award recognizes the many contributions young lawyers have made to our society.
- Alumni highlight strengths of Elon Law
Elon Law alumni who are excelling as attorneys in law and consulting firms, corporations and government agencies recently reflected on valuable aspects of their legal education, including small class sizes, students’ close working relationships with faculty, the breadth of professional networking opportunities offered at Elon and the law school’s emphasis on trial advocacy and communication skills development.
- Collin Cooper receives ABA honors
Elon Law alumnus Collin Cooper L’12 was recently named Associate Editor of The Young Lawyer, a publication of the Young Lawyers Division (YLD) of the American Bar Association (ABA), as well as an ABA YLD Scholar for 2013-2014.
- David Morrow named an ABA Business Law Fellow
Elon alumnus David Morrow II ’07, L’10 will serve on national committees of the American Bar Association as part of the highly competitive two-year fellowship.
- Judicial Selection article by John Warren accepted for publication by Washington University Jurisprudence Review
The Washington University Jurisprudence Review, a law journal of Washington University School of Law, will publish an article examining judicial elections, authored by Elon Law alumnus John Warren L’13, in spring of 2014.
- Anna Ksor Buonya speaks before Congress on human rights
A 2010 graduate of Elon Law, Anna Ksor Buonya testified at an April 11 Congressional hearing that examined Vietnamese government human rights violations.
- Jonathan C. Dunsmoor aids in reforming Philadelphia’s “stop-and-frisk” policy
A Legal Fellow at the ACLU of Pennsylvania, Elon Law alumnus Jonathan C. Dunsmoor currently oversees the Bailey v. City of Philadelphia project, which entails teaching law school students and attorney volunteers the fundamentals of Fourth Amendment search and seizure as it relates to police stops.
- Alumni reconnect at Elon Law Reunion Weekend
Elon Law's reunion weekend featured a free Continuing Legal Education class, 5k race, golf tournament and several receptions.
- Report features law alumni excelling in the profession
- Seventeen Elon Law alumni are featured in a 2012 alumni profile series focusing on lawyers excelling in judicial clerkships, business law and public interest law.
- Elon Law alumna featured in NCBA newsletter
- An article written by Elon Law alumna Anna Arnopolsky was published in the June 2012 edition of the North Carolina Bar Association (NCBA) Intellectual Property Section newsletter. The article, "Can ‘Tell-Alls' Tell All?", provides a briefing of right to publicity laws in North Carolina and across the nation.
- Elon Law alumni excel in the profession
- Elon Law graduates are advancing innovative national policy to increase U.S. exports, advising the public on health care law through media appearances, marking milestones of service in public interest law, and celebrating recognition as Super Lawyers.
- Elon Law alumnus Bernie Brown featured in News and Record
- The feature article in the Sunday, August 21 careers section of the Greensboro News and Record explores Elon Law's program of legal education and its benefits though the lens of Elon Law alumnus Bernie Brown, L'10, an attorney with Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice PLLC.
- Elon Law alumnus Brendan Garcia selected for Presidential Management Fellowship
- Brendan Garcia, a member of Elon Law's Class of 2011, has been accepted into the Presidential Management Fellowship (PMF) program. The number of applicants to the program each year has been as high as 8,500 in recent years. In 2011, 275 PMF finalists have been hired by federal agencies. Garcia will be working with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs in the Veterans Benefits Administration.
- Elon Law alumnus Mital Patel co-hosts Triangle Startup Weekend
- Triangle Business Law, a boutique law firm founded by Elon Law alumnus Mital Patel, '09, was among three entities to organize Triangle Startup Weekend in Durham, North Carolina in early June. The event was designed to support entrepreneurs in the development of early stage product ideas and to encourage increased entrepreneurial activity in the region.
- Elon Law alumna Miriam Heard publishes short story in North Carolina State Bar Journal
- The Spring 2011 edition of The North Carolina State Bar Journal includes "The Stone Bull," a short story authored by Miriam Heard, member of Elon Law’s Class of 2009. Heard submitted the work for consideration through the N.C. State Bar Association’s Seventh Annual Fiction Writing Competition.
- Dean’s Reception honors the Class of 2011
Members of the Class of 2011 at Elon Law welcomed family members and friends to the law school on May 21 to celebrate achievements of the class on the eve of commencement ceremonies. Joined by the faculty and staff of the law school and the leadership of Elon University, members of the class were recognized for pro bono service, leadership in law, and contributions to nonprofit organizations and law offices at regional, national, and international levels.
- U.S. Sentator Richard Burr calls on Elon Law's Class of 2011 to lead and to serve
Ninety-eight graduates of Elon University School of Law received Juris Doctor degrees on May 22. United States Senator Richard Burr delivered the commencement address, calling on graduates to embrace wide-ranging opportunities and responsibilities to lead and to serve at a time of rapid technological and political change around the world.
- Elon Law Alumni Association building connections through regional receptions and networking events
- Following three successful alumni events this year in Charlotte, Greensboro, and Raleigh, and an annual spring meeting held April 16, the Elon Law Alumni Association announced a series of events planned for the year ahead, including Reunion Weekend events in May, sports and charity events in partnership with law student organizations, and professional networking events scheduled throughout the year.
- Charlotte Business Journal highlights Mark Jetton '06 L'09 and Eric Meredith L'09
- Alumni Mark Jetton '06 L'09 and Eric Meredith L'09 were profiled in the April 15 issue of the Charlotte Business Journal. The article focused on how the two established their own law firm, Jetton & Meredith, PLLC, in September 2009 immediately after graduating as part of Elon Law's inaugural class.