Student and Professional Life
More Than Academics
The Elon School of Law is focused on turning students into lawyers, and lawyers into leaders. Elon Law students have many opportunities to participate in extracurricular activities that broaden their professional and social networks, provide opportunities to strengthen their leadership skills and give back to the community. The Office of Student and Professional Life helps students get the support and opportunities they need in the classroom, in extracurricular activities, and in their careers.
A wide variety of extracurricular activities and student groups provide opportunities to enrich your legal learning, build friendships, contribute to the community and have fun. Students can write for the Elon Law Review, serve on the Moot Court Board, explore specific areas of law in professional interest groups and much more. Student organizations often contribute to pro bono projects, organized by the school’s Pro Bono Board. The Office of Student and Professional Life can also help if you’re interested in starting new student organization.
Academic and Financial Aid
Elon is committed to supporting all students and helping them achieve their academic and professional goals. The Law School provides numerous resources to support students no matter what their circumstances. That includes financial planning and financial aid, accommodations for disabilities and much more. We recognize that law school, and preparing for the bar exam, are among the most challenging academic activities that most students have ever experienced. Elon supports students with academic support and help in preparing for the bar exam.
Life happens, and sometimes it happens in ways you can’t plan for or anticipate. Health problems, personal matters or family emergencies can sometimes be extremely disruptive to a student’s life. We’re here to help. Our office provides personal counseling and referrals to counselors and can sometimes assist with family emergencies, such as the death or illness of a loved one. We can also help students who need to take a leave of absence from their legal education to deal with a health, personal or family matter. If you need help, please contact us.
- Schedule of events for Elon Law's 2018 Diversity Week
Several student groups have organized programs from Feb. 19-24 to showcase the impact and importance of diversity in the legal profession.
- Elon Law elects Student Bar Association leaders
The executive board and class representatives will help lead a governing body that serves as the umbrella organization for other law school organizations and committees.
- "Prisoners' Rights" course takes Elon Law students to Robben Island
Eighteen students traveled to South Africa for nearly two weeks of experiential learning in a course that compared the prison system in the United States with the one there.
- On MLK Day, a morning to serve
Several Elon Law students, administrators, faculty and friends packed food, produced scarves, and created Valentine’s Day cards for local seniors as part of the 2018 Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service organized by The Volunteer Center of Greensboro.
- Elon Law hosts inaugural Kente Stole Donning Ceremony
Members of the Black Law Students Association and their families commemorated the achievements of graduating students who recognize their African roots in a cultural ceremony the day before Commencement for Elon Law’s Class of December 2017.
- Elon Law graduate honored with top leadership award
The David Gergen Award for Leadership & Professionalism, bestowed annually at Elon University School of Law’s Commencement, recognizes one student in each graduating class for embodying the highest levels of selfless leadership and service.
- Elon Law graduates first class to complete 2.5-year program
Members of the Class of December 2017 received degrees in a ceremony featuring the chief justice of the Supreme Court of North Carolina, who encouraged the future attorneys to "help our society renew its commitment to the American compact that we all share."
Helpful Links & Forms
- Schedule of events for Elon Law's 2017 Diversity Week
Several student groups, in coordination with Elon Law's career development, alumni and admissions offices, have organized programs from Feb. 20-25 to showcase the impact and importance of diversity in the legal profession.
- Reserve seats now for Ronan Farrow's visit to Elon Law
The NBC correspondent, human rights activist, and lawyer will visit Elon Law in downtown Greensboro at 6:30 p.m. on Nov. 15, 2016, to deliver "The Power and Perils of the Millennial Mind."
- Pro Bono Week 2012 – Oct. 22-27
- The student-led Pro Bono Board at Elon Law is pleased to announce Pro Bono Week, October 22-27, featuring events in partnership with local attorneys, American Civil Liberties Union, Legal Aid of North Carolina, the Interactive Resource Center, Women’s Resource Center, Elon’s Office of Financial Planning, Elon Law’s Center for Professional Development and Humanitarian and Immigration Law Clinic, and the following student organizations: ACLU, Initiative for Diversity and Cultural Awareness, Public Interest Law Society and Women’s Law Association.