1. Where is the Elon Community Garden?
The garden is located on E. College Ave., across the street from the tennis courts behind Powell House and the Truitt Center. A Google map can be found on the Contact Us page that you can use to find precise directions to the garden.
2. What if I don’t know how to garden?
Come learn! Lack of experience should not prevent anyone from getting involved and trying something new. The best way to learn is to work with others and try it out. Students, teachers and community members are always stopping by if you have a question or want to see how it’s done.
3. What happens to all of the vegetables and fruit grown and harvested at the garden?
All of the produce is there for the community. Some plots are allotted to students, but if there is no sign saying otherwise it is free to the community.
4. When can I visit the garden?
It is suggested to visit during the day, whenever the sun is bright and shining!
5. Can I get involved with the community garden in any other way?
Yes! Sometimes we need help moving things from Loy Farm (down the road) to the garden. We also run various events during the school year and summer, that are posted on the website. So be on the lookout!
6. How can I donate?
If you would like to donate new or used tools, seeds, plants, etc. please contact Michael Strickland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. What should I wear when I garden?
• Clothes that can get dirty
• Comfortable shoes
• Pants or shorts (weather appropriate)
• Sunscreen, hats, and sunglasses on sunny days
8. Is there parking nearby?
Yes, there is a parking lot located on the side of Powell House as well as parking on E. College Ave. Parking is available Monday-Friday after 5 p.m. and anytime on the weekend.
9. Is there a bathroom onsite?
Yes, there is a bathroom located inside of Powell House, which is located next to the garden.
10. What do I need to bring when I garden?
It depends on what seasons it is, but we recommend that you bring a bottle of water. Make sure you are dressed appropriately for gardening and the weather conditions. Plenty of garden tools, gloves, etc. are provided in the tool shed.
11. How will I know what to do when I get there?
There is a binder at the entryway of the garden of what past volunteers and visitors of the garden have done. For example, when the last time the plants were watered, when something was planted, etc. This gives you an idea of what needs to be done next.