Social Violations

Frequently Asked Questions by Students

I received a letter stating I need to schedule a Student Conduct Conference- what do I do now?

You should call the number listed in your letter to schedule a conference. See “Understanding the Student Conduct Process” for more information on preparing for your conference and what to expect during your meeting.

What is an administrative hearing?

An administrative hearing is a one-on-one meeting with a university administrator who is trained to serve as a hearing officer for cases involving potential honor code policy violations. Over 95% of honor code violations are resolved in administrative hearings. During an administrative hearing, the hearing officer will ask the student questions in order to gather information and make a decision in the case. The student will be notified of the decision and sanctions (if any) at the conclusion of the hearing.

What happens if I do not schedule a conference appointment prior to the deadline given in the letter?

If you fail to schedule a conference prior to the deadline listed in your notice email, your hearing officer will review your academic schedule and will set a hearing date and time. You will be notified of the date, time and location of your hearing at least three days prior to the set date. If you fail to appear for your hearing, a decision will be made in your absence.

What are my rights in the student conduct process?

View a list of your student rights.

Are off-campus violations reported to the Office of Student Conduct?

Yes, the Elon Student Handbook states the Honor Code applies to all behavior:

  • in locations and at events not occurring on campus, including those involving non-campus individuals and organizations;
  • in locations abroad, including involvement with all individuals and organizations; and
  • in situations involving technology as a means of recording or communication.

The Office of Student Conduct meets with the Elon Town Police on a weekly basis and receives reports of any student citations or arrests in the Town of Elon.

What exactly do the terms official warning, disciplinary probation, preliminary suspension and disciplinary suspension from the university mean?

A student found responsible for any Honor Code violation recieves a probationary status. Each status carries with it certain expectations for student behavior. An official warning is typically sanctioned only once per student. Disciplinary probation, preliminary suspension and disciplinary suspension are all types of probationary periods. View specific definitions related to these probationary levels.

Does my record go away after a year?

No. Student Conduct records are maintained from the time of admission until the actual awarding of a degree. Students should be aware that honor code violations are cumulative during their time at Elon. Should a student be found responsible for a violation, all previous case history will be considered during the sanctioning process. The length of time between incidents will be considered.

If sanctions never really go away, what does the ending date of a probationary period really mean?

Students found responsible for violations may be sanctioned to a probationary period. If a student is currently under a probationary status and has an additional violation, he or she will likely face more serious sanctions. For instance, a student who has a violation while on probation would likely face more serious consequences than a student who has the same violation and is no longer under a probationary status. A student who has a violation while on disciplinary suspension may be permanently separated from the university.

Will my disciplinary record affect my future plans?

It is possible. Serious violations or multiple minor violations may be more likely to affect future plans. Read Elon’s policy regarding maintenance and release of judicial/disciplinary records. Many graduate institutions, professional institutions and federal government positions request information regarding disciplinary records. Other institutions may also request information regarding disciplinary records. Students should be aware that their decisions and behavior may affect future plans.

What should I do if I have also been charged criminally? Isn't this double jeopardy?

The university student conduct system is a private, administrative process that responds to potential violations of the Elon Honor Code. The criminal system is a completely separate process with different procedures and standards of evidence. The student conduct process may not be postponed until the conclusion of the legal process. Double-jeopardy applies to the criminal court system only. Even if you have met your obligations to the legal system, you may have separate responsibilities to Elon University.

If my charges have been dropped by a criminal court, will they also be dropped by Elon University?

The university student conduct system will typically continue our process regardless of the decision in criminal court. The legal system determines criminal guilt for a violation of law, while the university system determines responsibility for policy violations under the Elon Honor Code.

Will anything appear on my transcripts due to this incident?

No.  Violations of social policies are not indicated on academic transcripts. Some violations of academic policies may result in an “Honor F,” which affects GPA but is not listed on your transcript. The sanction of an “Honor F” may be assigned for very serious academic integrity violations.

What is the purpose of sanctioning students who have violated the Honor Code?

There are three main goals of sanctions for policy violations:

  • to provide an educational opportunity for an individual student;
  • to protect the safety and well-being of the university community; and
  • to uphold community values regarding acceptable and unacceptable behaviors.

Do you notify my parents/guardians about this?

Parents/guardians will receive an official notification letter at the conclusion of the student conduct process if a student is found responsible for any alcohol or drug violation or if a student is sanctioned to a probationary status of disciplinary probation, preliminary suspension, disciplinary suspension or permanent separation. Drugs and/or alcohol violations are noted in the notification letter. Since the letter indicates the violation date and the hearing date, students are encouraged to communicate promptly with their parent/guardian.

What can I do if I do not like the decision made at the end of my hearing?

Students may appeal on the following grounds:

  • new facts - discovery of substantial new facts that were unavailable at the time of the hearing and which could affect the hearing outcome;
  • inappropriate sanction - if the assigned sanctions are not consistent with those listed in the Student Handbook; or
  • procedural violation - if there was a substantial violation of the hearing procedure.

View a full explanation of appeal procedures.