The new Maker Hub – Downtown gives Elon makers access to advanced prototyping and fabrication tools not available elsewhere on campus.
Any Elon student, faculty or staff can use the Maker Hub – Downtown during open hours (hours listed in the sidebar). The Maker Hub – Downtown can also be reserved for orientations for classes, departments, and student groups. Read more about Maker Hub Orientations.
Tools are available for advanced prototypes and fabrication, including:
- 3D printers: eight Ultimaker 3D printers and one FormLabs 2 SLA 3D printer
- CNC router: cut and engrave wood, acrylic, and circuit boards
- Laser engraver: precise engraving or cutting of cardboard, paper, leather, wood, and acrylic
- Electronics: Microcomputers, microcontrollers, soldering irons, and various electrical components to create electronics projects
- Saws: Miter saw, track saw, and jig saw for cutting wood and other materials
- Power tools and hand tools like an electric drill, impact driver, clamps, hammer, wrenches, pliers, and more
- A sewing machine to repair textile projects and small vinyl cutter to create custom decals
The Maker Hub – Downtown stocks a small selection of plywood (Baltic Birch in various sizes), softwood lumber, acrylic, foam core, cardboard, and matte board.
If you’d like to work with other materials, please talk with a Maker Hub student staff person to see if it’s compatible with our equipment. If you plan to sell what you make, we ask that you purchase the materials yourself.
If you’d like other types of lumber, you can purchase hardwood, softwood, and plywood at the Hardwood Store of North Carolina in Gibsonville (a short 5-minute drive from campus).