Global Learning Opportunity (GLO) and General Program Criteria for any GLO
For all GLOs, the following criteria must be met.
- The experience meets the Forum on Education Abroad Guidelines for Undergraduate Health-Related Experiences Abroad as they are applied to SHS graduate students.
- The experience must occur in a setting in which the predominant culture of the community, patients and/or local providers is substantially different from an SHS student’s own culture and includes a structured cultural educational experience (the Program leader and site will collaborate to establish opportunities for structured cultural learning experiences).
- The experience must include both a cultural component and patient care or other professionally relevant learning opportunities.
- All sites must be approved by the GLO Committee.
- The experience includes a program leader from the SHS who serves as liaison and coordinator in partnership with the site.
- The site must have a Memorandum of Understanding or Affiliation Agreement in place with Elon University.
- The site must include a qualified contact person to coordinate and oversee the student’s activities.
- The site must be accessible/available to any interested or qualified SHS student.
- The site must have support services including but not limited to interpreters, access to the internet, and support staff (within reasonable expectations based on the type of experience).
- To ensure best practices and effective communication, students will be provided interpreters and may not deliver care without adequate interpretation services.
- The location must include viable options for housing, transportation, and food.
- Students must remain in good academic standing to apply and participate in a GLO.
Global Learning Opportunity Criteria for Clinical Education
In addition to the general criteria above for all GLOs, the following criteria must be met:
- The site will have a completed Affiliation Agreement in place with Elon University.
- The site will align with their country’s professional national organization’s policies or position statements. (Equivalent of APTA and ARC-PA).
- The site will meet criteria for clinical experience credit for the DPAS or DPTE.
- Clinical instructors, preceptors, and facility staff must provide services competently and professionally in an ethical and legal manner, as outlined by the country’s standards of practice, and the site’s clinical education policies and procedures.
- The on-site coordinator must ensure that the appropriate clinical personnel will complete requested student performance evaluations from Elon.
- The on-site coordinator will orient students; including required procedures, and setting expectations for the student that are consistent with accepted professional competencies as agreed upon by the SHS program and the site.
- Elon’s clinical education team will uphold processes which help define and evaluate the quality of the supervised clinical experience.
Global Learning Opportunity Criteria for an Approved Course
In addition to the general criteria for all GLOs, all GLO-AC projects must be completed in the allotted time frame for the experience and have the approval of the primary faculty member for the course.
Global Learning Opportunity Criteria for Volunteer Activity
In addition to the general criteria for all GLOs, all GLO-V projects must be completed in the allotted time frame for the experience and have the approval of the GLO Committee.