Students with disabilities who are seeking accommodations at Elon University must register with the Disabilities Resources Office through our Accommodate Portal.
In order to provide a clear and equitable process for requesting accommodations, Elon University has adopted the following documentation guidelines. Students and parents are encouraged to refer professional evaluators to these guidelines before submission of documentation for an accommodation request.
1. A qualified professional must conduct the evaluation. Documentation should be obtained from a licensed medical or mental health professional who is not a relative of the student requesting accommodations.
2. Up-to-date documentation. Documentation should be current, typically within the last five years, with some variability based on the condition. More recent documentation may be requested for conditions where symptoms vary over time, such as some anxiety based-conditions or medical conditions with fluctuating symptoms over time.
3. Required elements of documentation:
1. Presented on letterhead. Should include contact information as part of the letterhead to aid in follow up as needed.
2. Diagnosis. Please include date diagnosed and most recent evaluation.
3. List of procedures or tests used to determine diagnosis. These will vary by disorder but might include medical evaluations, clinical interview, cognitive tests, achievement tests, academic fluency tests and/or rating scales. If standardized testing is administered, please include subtest, scale and total scores from all tests administered as well as an interpretation of the results.
4. Functional Impact of the Diagnosis. Common major life activities that might be impacted in an academic environment by a disability diagnosis include seeing, hearing, learning, reading, concentrating, thinking, and communicating.
5. Anticipated duration of functional impact. Is this a condition that follow up is needed to determine functional impact after a set time period? (6 months? 1 year?) Or is functional impact anticipated for the duration of studies at Elon University.
6. Recommended accommodations in an academic environment. Including how those accommodations would reduce the functional impact of the disability diagnosis.
7. Known history of use of accommodations in academic environments.
How do I submit my documentation?
- Uploaded as a .pdf file. This is the preferred method. The student should create an account in Accommodate, our data management system, and then upload their documentation through the portal.
- Emailed as a single .pdf file. The email address for documentation submission is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sent by fax to our office. Our fax number is: 336.278.6514.
- Sent by mail to our office.
Disabilities Resources Office
Elon University Campus Box 2251
Elon, NC 27244
Please feel free to contact our office with any questions about the above guidelines. If your provider has requested a form to complete, we have created a Provider Form.
If you had accommodations in your prior school but do not have current or complete documentation, submit the documentation that you have, and we may be able to grant provisional accommodations to allow time to obtain comprehensive and updated documentation.