The staff at Elon Student Health Services in partnership with Cone Health Systems- Alamance Regional, provides the following general services in the evaluation and treatment of acute illness and injury to Elon University students:
- Evaluation and treatment of acute illness, injury, and infection (including STIs and gyn issues) in Student Health Services/Ellington Center.
- Co-management of chronic illness when medically appropriate
- Referrals to specialists as needed
- Physical examinations for travel, work, and general health
- Specimen collection for LabCorp testing
- Point of care labs – rapid strep and flu tests, glucose finger sticks, urinalysis, urine pregnancy tests
- Gynecologic services – pap smears, contraception, counseling
- Allergy immunotherapy and other injection services (NC Seasonal Allergy Information)
- Limited stock and administration of vaccines – Tdap, Hepatitis B, Td
- Splints, slings, crutches for minor injuries
- Removal of IUDs
- Health education and counseling
- Limited on-site prescription dispensing of antibiotics, oral contraceptives, emergency contraceptives, antihistamines, acid reducers, analgesics. Students may elect to have their prescription sent to a local pharmacy to use insurance benefits. Additional prescription resources may be found here.
- Prescription delivery service (to Health Services) from local pharmacies. Additional prescription delivery resources to other locations may be found here.
- Access to 24/7/365 free on-demand telehealth services through partnership with Timely Care from anywhere in the United States
Services Not Provided
The following services are not provided at Student Health Services nor by Student Health Services Staff:
- Off Site Care: Student Health Services staff cannot provide off site assessment, evaluation, or treatment. Students who cannot travel safely to Student Health Services should call 9-1-1 for assessment by local medical first responders. After assessment, the providers will recommend whether the student should be transported via ambulance to the local hospital (Cone Health-Alamance Regional Medical Center). Overnight or custodial care in Student Health Services/Ellington Center. Students who are too ill to return to their residence will be referred to the local hospital (Cone Health-Alamance Regional Medical Center) for additional assessment.
- Student Health Services does not file claims with any insurance companies and does not have provider agreements with any insurance providers. Students must direct pay and service costs and may file their own claims with their insurer. Any reimbursement is subject to provisions of the student’s insurance companies’ reimbursement schedule and are not the responsibility of Elon University nor Cone Health.
- Fill prescriptions from providers outside of Student Health Services Staff. Students may find local pharmacy options for filling prescriptions (including those with delivery options) here.
- Provide on-site radiology or imaging; students will be referred to an off-campus provider.
- Offer physical therapy. Students will be referred to an off-campus provider.
- Administer flu vaccines. Students will be notified of on campus flu vaccine clinics each fall/winter.
- Insert IUDs. Students will be referred to an off-campus provider.
- Manage psychiatric conditions or prescribe psychiatric medications including those for ADD/ADHD; please see your primary care provider.
Cost & Fee Information
- Student office visits are free of charge except physicals, well-woman exams, and allergy shots.
- There are charges for medications, supplies, lab tests, injections, and procedures, due at time of visit. All payments are out-of-pocket.
- Student Health Services does not file incurred charges with health insurance companies. A receipt is available at time of payment for submission to your insurance provider for reimbursement (if applicable). Students may file their own claims with their insurer. Any reimbursement is subject to provisions of the student’s insurance company’s reimbursement schedule and are not the responsibility of Elon University nor Cone Health.
- A list of our most frequent tests and their cost can be found at Elon SHS frequent charges. Other charges may be in effect. Students should ask the provider about any other charges before agreeing to the test.
- Fees may be paid by cash, check, credit card, Phoenix cash, or conveniently billed to your student account.
- Any charges incurred from referrals to an outside provider are the responsibility of the student. Most outside practices require students to provide verification of insurance prior to scheduling an appointment.
- Missed appointments (including allergy shot appointments) without prior cancellation will result in a $50.00 fee posted to the student account.
- Faculty/ staff should contact the Faculty/Staff Health and Wellness Clinic for healthcare options.