Elon's 124th Commencement activities include picnics, receptions and more for graduates and their families.
More information for graduates and their families, including area lodging details and frequently asked questions, can be found on the Commencement 2014 website.
Commencement 2014 Schedule
Monday, May 5
- Lavender Celebration, 5:30-7 p.m., Oaks 212
A special recognition ceremony for graduating LGBTQIA students.
Wednesday, May 14
- Reading Day
Thursday, May 15 – Tuesday, May 20
- Final Examinations
Wednesday, May 21
- Senior Class Picnic Lunch for graduates and Elon faculty & staff, Lawn behind Martin Alumni Center, 12–2 p.m. (Rain Location: Lakeside Meeting Rooms)
The Office of Alumni Engagement hosts a farewell picnic for all graduating members of the senior class and Elon faculty and staff.
- Senior Gala, McKinnon Hall, Moseley Center, 9 p.m. – midnight
Thursday, May 22
- Reception for African-American Graduates and their families, Lakeside Meeting Rooms, Moseley Center, 6:30 p.m.
Invitations will be mailed to graduates and alumni by the Office of Alumni Engagement.
- Master of Interactive Media Commencement, Whitley Auditorium, 7 p.m.
Friday, May 23
- ROTC Commissioning Ceremony, Holt Chapel, South Campus, 11 a.m.
- Receptions for Graduates and their families hosted by faculty in Elon College and the schools of Business, Communications and Education, 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Elon College, The College of Arts and Sciences graduates and families – Front of Lindner Hall (Rain location: Lindner Foyer)
Love School of Business graduates and families – Chandler Fountain and Plaza (Rain location: Koury Business center, first floor)
School of Communications graduates and families – Manfuso Plaza (Rain location: McEwen Communications Building, Studio B)
School of Education graduates and families – Front Porch of Mooney Building (Rain location: Mooney 111)
- From a Grove of Oaks Book Signing, Barnes & Noble at Elon University, 2-5 p.m.
University Historian and Professor Emeritus of History George W. Troxler will be available to sign copies of his latest book, From a Grove of Oaks: The Story of Elon University, on Friday, May 23 from 2-5 p.m. at Barnes & Noble at Elon University, the campus bookstore on Williamson Avenue. Copies of the book will be available for purchase for $39.95 (plus taxes). For more information, contact the bookstore at 336-278-5400.
- Baccalaureate, Alumni Gym, Koury Center, 3 p.m.
Graduates are invited to sit with their families for Baccalaureate. Eboo Patel, founder and president of Interfaith Youth Core, will deliver the sermon.
- Celebration of Leaders for the Twenty-First Century and Reception, Alumni Gym, 5 p.m.
Graduating Business Fellows, Communications Fellows, Elon College Fellows, Honors Fellows, Isabella Cannon Leadership Fellows, Lumen Scholars, Elon Teaching Fellows, and Periclean Scholars will be recognized at a ceremony that highlights their talents and accomplishments. A reception will follow.
- Legacy Reception for Graduates and Their Alumni Parents, Grandparents and Siblings, Lakeside Meeting Rooms, Moseley Center, 5:30 p.m. – 7 p.m.
If a parent, grandparent, or sibling of a graduate is an alumnus, an invitation will be mailed by the Office of Alumni Engagement. Parking is available in the McMichael Parking Lot.
- Master of Business Administration Commencement, Whitley Auditorium, 7 p.m.
Saturday, May 24
- Continental Breakfast, Scott Plaza, 7:30 a.m.
The University faculty host graduating students and their families at a continental breakfast around Fonville Fountain.
- Graduates assemble in Jordan Gym, 8 a.m.
Graduating students must be in Jordan Gym promptly at 8 a.m. in caps and gowns. Your presence is required. If you are late or improperly attired, you will not be permitted to participate in Commencement exercises. Faculty and staff will organize the line of march. Jeffrey Clark, Executive director of Cultural and Special Programs, will send students detailed instructions regarding their part in the program.
- Commencement, Under the Oaks, Processional begins at 9:15 a.m.
Mary Carillo will deliver Elon’s 124th Commencement address. After graduation, there will be a reception hosted by academic departments on Scott Plaza. Reception locations will be posted in the pocket guide that is sent in late April to graduates and their parents. Rain location for Commencement is Alumni Gym in Koury Center.
- School of Law Commencement, Under the Oaks, 5 p.m.
Additional information about School of Law commencement week activities can be found on the School of Law website.