Helpful tips and an overview of changes in services during the Thanksgiving holiday and Winter Break provided by Vice President for Student Life Jon Dooley.
In-person classes end next week, but the semester will conclude after Thanksgiving Break, with remote Final Exams for undergraduate students from Monday, November 30, through Friday, December 4. After that date, a number of campus services will be closed or have limited hours until Winter Term begins Wednesday, January 13, 2021. In addition, University offices are closed December 19 – January 3.
As a reminder, throughout this time Campus Safety & Police will operate as normal, 24-hours per day, and can be reached at 336-278-5555. They can also assist with connections to the Student Life on-call administrators and on-call counselors. SAFEline is also always available at 336-278-3333 for confidential support with identity-based bias, sexual violence, or interpersonal violence – they can also be a confidential resource to access on-call violence responders.
Residence halls and university apartments
- Residence halls (not apartments) close at 10 a.m. this Wednesday, November 25. Student Staff will conduct modified health and safety inspections to ensure the safety of the halls during this extended break period.
- Students in University apartments who are not returning for winter and spring terms must move out by Sunday, December 13.
Secure your residence
Whether you live on-campus or off-campus, make sure you secure your room, apartment or house. Other important steps to take before you leave:
- Unplug all appliances
- Hide or relocate valuables and move expensive items away from windows
- Secure any non-perishable food in airtight containers or cabinets; discard any perishable food from your refrigerator
- Empty all trash; if you live off campus, secure your trash and recycling containers
- Check all water faucets to make sure they are completely off
- Set your thermostat for 50-55 degrees
- If you have a hidden spare key outside of your residence, make sure you remove it
- Make sure all doors and windows are shut and locked
- Students residing in off campus residences may want to request a Vacation Home Check, a service is provided by the Town of Elon Police – complete the on-line form available here.
If you are planning on leaving your vehicle on campus during Winter Break, you may leave it in your permitted lot or you may park it in the McMichael East lot, Historic Neighborhood lot, or the lot on the south side of the Health Center on south campus. Make sure your vehicle is locked and you take any valuables with you.
Below are hours for student service operations during Thanksgiving, Final Exams, and Winter Break:
- Belk Library will be closed Thursday, November 26, through Saturday, November 28.
- The library will be open for Phoenix card holders 7-days per week Sunday, November 29, through Friday, December 18, and will be closed December 19 through January 3.
- Visit http://elon.libcal.com for information about library hours for Phoenix card holders.
BioBuses and Campus Transportation
- The BioBus University Drive route will stop service Sunday, November 22, at 10 p.m. and the Outer Loop and Danieley Tram routes will stop services Monday, November 23, at 5 p.m. BioBuses will resume their schedule Wednesday, January 13. The BioBus schedules and routes are available online here.
- Airport Shuttle reservations closed Sunday, November 15. Information for students with existing reservations can be found on the Moseley Center website here.
Campus Recreation and Wellness
- Campus Recreation and Wellness facilities will have adjusted hours in the upcoming week and will be closed Tuesday, November 24 through Sunday, November 29.
- From November 30 through December 18, PARC Fitness Center will be open weekdays from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.; closed on weekends. While there will be no reservation system utilized to reserve a spot, the 5-person maximum capacity will be enforced.
- All recreation facilities will be closed December 19 through January 3.
- Visit http://www.elon.edu/recwell and scroll to “Thanksgiving, Fall Exams and Winter Break Hours” for a link to adjusted hours of operation.
- Counseling Services will be closed next Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving.
- The last day for appointments during the fall semester will be Friday, December 11. Counseling Services offices will be closed December 19 through January 3.
- Throughout the entire break, the Crisis Counselor On-Call remains available 24/7 by calling Campus Safety and Police at 336-278-5555.
- If a student is experiencing a psychological emergency that is life threatening or involves imminent danger (risk of harm to self or others at any time), call 9-1-1 for immediate assistance.
- Visit the Counseling Services website for information about hours and appointment times, links to online resources, and information about emergency and crisis resources.
- A list of adjusted locations and hours for Thanksgiving Break is located online here. Hours will vary during the upcoming week, but there are no open dining locations on campus Thursday, November 26 through Sunday, November 29.
- From November 30 until December 18, Winter Garden Cafe’ will be open weekdays 8:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.; closed on weekends.
- All dining facilities will be closed December 19 through January 3.
- From January 4 – 10, Winter Garden Cafe’ will be open weekdays 8:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.; closed on weekends.
- Menus and hours for dining locations across campus are always available online here: https://www.elondining.com/menu-hours/
- If you are ordering online, be sure to double-check the delivery address; Mail Services will have adjusted hours and will be closed at various points in the coming weeks. If you are not here at Elon, please do not ship items to campus.
- Mail Services will be closed Thursday, November 26, through Sunday, November 29.
- From November 30 until December 18, Mail Services will be open weekdays 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.; closed weekends.
- Mail Services will be closed December 19 through January 3. Items ordered to campus during this time will typically be held by the carrier and delivered to us when we open the week of January 4.
- Visit the Mail Services website for updated hours and operations.
- Moseley Center will have adjusted hours in the coming week and will be closed Thursday, November 26 through Sunday, November 29.
- From November 30 until December 18, Moseley Center will be open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; closed weekends.
- Moseley Center will be closed December 19 through January 3.
- Visit the Moseley Center website here for information about adjusted hours.
Student Health Services
- Visit https://www.elon.edu/u/health-wellness/health-services/ for information on Student Health Services hours and appointment times.
- Students who are experiencing a medical emergency, should call 9-1-1 for immediate assistance.
Cram Jam, sponsored by Student Union Board and IRC, Monday, 11/23
- Phoenix Flavors: Check out the video of SUB Cinema Chair Grace Clift and Chef Danny from Elon Dining on @elonsub Instagram as they cook Banana Fosters French Toast. Follow along and eat a tasty treat!
- Bingo: Join SUB & IRC from 7:30 to 9:00 p.m. for a virtual game of Bingo and the chance to win cool gift cards! Click the link in the @elonsub Instagram bio to join the Zoom call and get your virtual bingo card!
- Zoom Game Night – Among Us: 9-10 p.m. Click the link in @elonsub Instagram bio and hop in a breakout room to play Among Us. Join the Zoom call and find the impostor!
Good luck on your final exams and best wishes for a safe and relaxing break. Of course, we will continue to keep you updated on Elon’s Ready and Resilient plans for Winter Term and the Spring Semester, so be sure to check your university email for important updates in the coming weeks. See you in 2021!
Dr. Jon Dooley
Vice President for Student Life