The Healthy Elon Committee announced Wednesday an extension of the indoor mask requirement and new temporary human resources policies. Read this note for full details.
Dear Campus Community,
The Healthy Elon Committee, the Infectious Disease Response Team and the COVID-19 Data team continue to monitor key data about the spread of COVID-19 in our region and within the Elon community. In light of information and recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS) and the Alamance County Health Department, Elon is making the following updates in university policies and protocols:
Mask Requirement Extended
- Elon University will extend its indoor campus mask requirement. The mask requirement will be in place until the high transmission rates in our area—as measured by the CDC and state—decrease in Alamance/Guilford counties. All students, faculty, staff and visitors, regardless of their vaccination status, must wear masks in all indoor campus spaces (except when alone in a private office, in a residence hall/apartment room, or while eating or drinking).
- This extension of the indoor mask requirement is intended to protect the campus community, mitigate the spread of the virus and variants, and avoid disruptions in university academic programs and operations.
- Due to the large number of visitors expected on campus without verified vaccination status, the Commencement 2020 ceremony has been relocated outdoors, to Under the Oaks at 9:30 a.m. on Sept. 5. All participants will be required to wear masks. You can read more about Commencement 2020 weekend (Sept. 3-5) on the Commencement website.
New Temporary Human Resources Policies
- All faculty and staff who are impacted by COVID-19 or are believed to be a close contact, should contact both the Office of Human Resources (HREmployeeCovid@elon.edu or 336-278-5560) and their supervisor/department chair. New temporary/short-term COVID-19 illness policies for Fall 2021 semester will allow Human Resources to support faculty and staff and ensure continuity of work/instruction when faculty and staff are required to 1) quarantine or isolate, 2) care for a family member who is ill, or 3) care for a child who is not able to attend school or childcare. FAQs on this topic will be added to the Employee FAQs this afternoon.
- Healthy Elon FAQs are continually updated on the Healthy Elon website and include information about what to do if you feel ill, how to talk with others on campus about masks, guidance for faculty in working with students who are absent due to quarantine, and more.
Please look for Vice President Jon Dooley’s regular email later today with additional updates regarding COVID-19. Also, feel free to contact Healthy@Elon.edu or 336-278-2020 for assistance.
Thank you for your continued partnership in creating a healthy and successful semester at Elon,
Jeff Stein, Healthy Elon Committee Chair
Dan Anderson, Special Assistant to the President
Ginette Archinal, Medical Director of Student Health and University Physician
MarQuita Barker, Assistant Dean of Campus Life and Director of Residence Life
John Barnhill, Associate Vice President for University Advancement
Tom Flood, Assistant Vice President of Physical Plant
Jason Husser, Associate Professor of Political Science and Policy Studies, and Director of the Elon Poll (Academic Council Representative)
Deandra Little, Assistant Provost, Director of the Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning and Professor of English
Paul Miller, Associate Provost for Academic Excellence and Operations and Professor of Exercise Science
Kelly Reimer, Senior Director of Teaching and Learning Technologies (Staff Council Representative)
Carrie Ryan, Assistant Vice President for Auxiliary Services
Kelli Shuman, Associate Vice President for Human Resources & Chief Human Resources Officer
Gabie Smith, Dean of Elon College, the College of Arts and Sciences and Professor of Psychology
Mary Southern, Project Manager for Provost and Academic Affairs Operations (Project Manager)