Read this note for safety tips during Winter Break and information about campus services.
Winter Break for undergraduate students and some graduate programs begins after final exams on Friday, December 10. A number of campus services will be closed or have limited hours until Winter Term begins Tuesday, January 4, 2022.
As a reminder, throughout this time Campus Safety & Police will operate as normal, 24-hours per day, and can be reached at 336-278-5555. They can also assist with connections to the Student Life on-call administrators. On-call crisis counselors are always available at 336-278-2222. SAFEline is also always available at 336-278-3333 for confidential support with identity-based bias, sexual violence, or interpersonal violence – they can also be a confidential resource to access on-call violence responders.
Below are hours of student services operations during the break. Please note that University offices are closed December 20 – December 24 and December 31.
Residence halls and university apartments
- Residence halls (not apartments) close at 10 a.m. on Saturday, December 11. Student Staff will conduct modified health and safety inspections to ensure the safety of the halls during this extended break period.
- Students in University apartments who are not returning for winter and spring terms must move out by Sunday, December 12 at 10 a.m.
- Information about requests to stay late or return early can be found on the Break Housing page of the Residence Life website.
- Offices remain open during the break during regular weekday business hours, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., except when University offices are closed.
Secure your residence
Whether you live on-campus or off-campus, make sure you secure your room, apartment or house. Other important steps to take before you leave:
- Unplug all appliances
- Hide or relocate valuables and move expensive items away from windows
- Secure any non-perishable food in airtight containers or cabinets; discard any perishable food from your refrigerator
- Empty all trash; if you live off campus, secure your trash and recycling containers
- Check all water faucets to make sure they are completely off
- Set your thermostat for 50-55 degrees
- If you have a hidden spare key outside of your residence, make sure you remove it
Make sure all doors and windows are shut and locked
For students in off-campus housing, please remember that your water bill will be due December 15 and January 15. Pay online to avoid late charges or having services turned off while you are away.
Students residing in off-campus residences may want to request a Vacation Home Check, a service provided by the Town of Elon Police – complete the online form available here.
If you are planning on leaving your vehicle on campus during Winter Break, you may leave it in your permitted lot or you may park it in the Innovation Quad lot, Historic Neighborhood lot, or the lot on the south side of the Health Center on South Campus. Make sure your vehicle is locked and you take any valuables with you.
For those interested in asymptomatic walk-up testing before traveling at the end of the semester, the testing will be available in McCoy Commons 207, in the Oaks Neighborhood. The testing page of the Healthy Elon website has information about the regular schedule for COVID-19 testing, which will remain in place through Friday, December 10.
Below are hours for student service operations during Winter Break:
- The library will be open for Phoenix cardholders on Monday, December 13 through Friday, December 17, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m and Monday, December 27 through Thursday, December 30, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Belk Library will be closed on Saturday, December 18 through Sunday, December 26 and Friday, December 31.
- Visit the Belk Library website for information about library hours for Phoenix Card holders.
Elon Express and Campus Transportation
All Elon Express routes will stop service at the end of shifts on December 10. BioBuses will resume their schedule on January 3. The Elon Express schedules and routes are available online here.
Campus Recreation and Wellness
- Campus Recreation and Wellness facilities will have adjusted hours from Friday, December 3 through Monday, January 3.
- The PARC fitness center will remain open from 6 a.m. to Midnight daily throughout Winter Break.
- Visit the Campus Recreation and Wellness website and scroll to “Fall Exams and Winter Break Hours” for adjusted hours of operation.
- Counseling Services will be closed for appointments beginning December 17 through December 31. The office will reopen on Monday, January 3.
- Throughout the Winter Break, students will have 24/7 access to on-demand mental health support through TimelyCare. Download the TimelyCare app or go to timelycare.com to register with their Elon e-mail and access code L2LRNI to request a virtual meeting with a counselor.
- The Crisis Counselor-on-Call remains available 24/7 by calling 336-278-2222.
Call 9-1-1 for any psychological emergency that is life-threatening or involves imminent danger to self or others.
- Visit the Counseling Services website for information about hours and appointment times, links to online resources, and information about emergency and crisis resources.
- A list of adjusted locations and hours for Exam Week is located online here. Hours will vary during the week.
- From December 13 through December 17 and December 27 through December 31: Winter Garden Cafe’ will be open weekdays, 8:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- A list of adjusted hours and locations during Winter Break is located online here.
- All dining facilities will be closed on weekends and December 18 through December 26.
- Dining hours will resume on Sunday, January 2.
- Menus and hours for dining locations across campus are always available online here: https://www.elondining.com/menu-hours/
- If you are ordering online, be sure to double-check the delivery address; Mail Services will have adjusted hours and will be closed at various points in the coming weeks. If you are not here at Elon, please do not ship items to campus.
- Shipping carriers will hold items while Mail Services is closed the week of December 19, and delivery will occur on December 27.
- Visit the Mail Services website for updated hours and operations.
- Moseley Center will have adjusted hours from December 10 through January 2.
- The Moseley Center will be closed:
- Sunday, December 12
- Sunday, December 19 through Sunday, December 26
- Friday, December 31 through Sunday, January 2
- Regular operating hours will resume on January 3.
- Visit the Moseley Center website here for information about adjusted hours.
Student Health Services
- Students who are experiencing a medical emergency, should call 9-1-1 for immediate assistance.
- Student Health Services will be closed to patients on Saturday, December 11 through January 2.
- TimelyCare medical telehealth service is available 24/7 throughout the break. For information about how to access the service, visit the appointments page of the Student Health Services website.
- Administrative staff will be available by phone at 336-278-7230 or email@example.com for immunization questions on December 13 through December 17, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Abbreviated operating hours will be observed on January 3, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Regular operating hours will resume on Tuesday, January 4.
- Visit the Student Health Services website for information on hours and appointment times.
Good luck on your final exams and best wishes for a safe and relaxing break. See you in 2022!
Dr. Jon Dooley
Vice President for Student Life