Self Help Resources
Mental Health Online Screenings
These screenings are the quickest way to determine if you or someone you care about should connect with a mental health professional. They are a check-up from your neck up! This program is completely anonymous and confidential, and immediately following the brief questionnaire you will see your results, recommendations, and resources.
Helpful Online Resources
- Americans Overseas Domestic Violence Crisis Center provides sexual assault prevention, education, and crisis services for Americans living overseas.
- The College Student's Guide to Sleep by Best Mattress Reviews was created to help college students deal with sleep hygiene (and depreviation) with expert advice, curated online resources around mental health, sleep disorders, and much more.
- Half of Us was initiated by mtvU as a public dialogue to raise awareness about the prevalence of mental health issues to decrease stigma and encourage students to seek help if they need it.
- Study Guides and Strategies provides techniques to assist with learning and developing effective study skills.
- UIC Self-Help Brochures has a variety of mental health brochures available online.
- ULifeline is an online resource center for college mental health with a plethora of mental health and wellness information.
- The Virtual Pamphlet Collection is an online library of informational pamphlets on a wide variety of mental health topics.
- Wellness Coaching to develop and implement goals to enhance your level of well-being and life satisfaction.
Mindfulness Resources for Research and Information
Mindfulness Lifestyle/Practice Oriented Websites
Mindfulness and Self-Care Apps
- Breathe2Relax iTunes | Google Play
A portable stress management tool. Breathe2Relax is a hands-on diaphragmatic breathing exercise. Breathing exercises have been documented to decrease the body's 'fight-or-flight' (stress) response, and help with mood stabilization, anger control, and anxiety management. Breathe2Relax can be used as a stand-alone stress reduction tool, or can be used in tandem with clinical care directed by a healthcare worker.
- Buddhify iTunes | Google Play
This is a mindfulness and meditation app that is built around you. Buddhify is perfect for those who are ready to incorporate meditation and mindfulness into their entire day, with meditations that target every aspect of your life, from sleeping, to traveling, to being online. Even if you have never tried meditation before, Buddhify is a life-changer.
- Calm iTunes | Google Play
Includes multiple guided as well as unguided sessions. When you decide you are ready for more than the seven-day program, you can pay for a subscription, which opens up a 21-day program.
- Headspace iTunes | Google Play
This app is great for people getting started with meditation. The first level in the program teaches you meditation in easily digestible ten-minute sessions. Once this starter program is complete, you can subscribe to access thousands of hours of content available at your fingertips. What’s unique about Headspace is that with over five million users, you can buddy up with friends to motivate each other and keep on the path to a healthier mind.
- Insight Timer iTunes | Google Play
A meditation timer that connects you with other meditators across the globe.
- The Mindfulness App iTunes | Google Play
This app allows you to select guided or silent meditations at the length of your choice so no matter what level of meditation experience you have you are covered. Users can also purchase in-app meditation lessons from renowned teachers such as Tara Brach and Eckart Tolle.
- Omvana iTunes | Google Play
Omvana gives you access to many meditation sounds, music, and guided sessions with meditation experts. Focus options include: mindfulness, stress, relaxation, sleep, and more. You can choose the length of each meditation session, from three minutes to an hour.
- Relax Melodies iTunes | Google Play
Relax Melodies is designed with a good night’s sleep in mind. If you have difficulty getting to sleep or feeling rested in the morning, then this is the app to try.
- Smiling Mind iTunes | Google Play
Smiling Mind is a nonprofit that was created to increase happiness and compassion in the world, and this app is one step toward that goal. With programs designed by age group, this app is great for kids, teens, and adults.
- Stop, Breathe, and Think iTunes | Google Play
Stop, Breath & Think will recommend meditations for you to practice each day based on how you feel so that all you have to do is select one and hit play.
- Take a break! iTunes | Google Play
By Meditation Oasis