Faculty, staff, and students are in an ideal position to recognize when someone is struggling emotionally and may need help.
Kognito is an online simulation that lets you practice conversations with a virtual student, so you will know what to say in real life.
Counseling Services is making this program available to the entire Elon community to help create a safer and more supportive campus. To access this free resource, visit https://elon.kognito.com/ and log on with your Elon email and password to get started.
What to do in an emergency or if a student is experiencing a crisis
As with medical emergencies, if a student is experiencing a psychological emergency call 911 for immediate assistance.
Situations that indicate emergency response include but are not limited to: suicidal behaviors, violence or threats of violence toward others, self-injury needing immediate medical attention, mental confusion or disorientation, out of control behavior, significant impairment by drugs or alcohol)
Students experiencing a psychological crisis should call Campus Safety and Police at (336) 278-5555 and ask to speak to Counselor-on-Call.
The Counselor-on-Call is available 24/7/365. Campus Safety and Police will transfer the caller to the Counselor-on-Call who will complete a brief risk assessment of the situation and recommend steps for additional support or follow-up to ensure safety. This may include a referral to the hospital for an in-person assessment and may include the involvement of University administrative staff. The Counselor on Call provides crisis management interventions, not counseling/therapy after hours.
Resources and Contact Information
- Campus Safety and Police – (336) 278-5555
- Student Life Emergency Response System – (336) 278-5555
- Student Care and Outreach – (336) 278-7200 (M-F, 8am-5pm)
- Counseling Services – (336) 278-7280 (M-F, 8am-5pm)
- Truitt Center for Religious and Spiritual Life – (336) 278-7729
- Academic Support Services and Disability Resources – (336) 278-6500
- Elon University Health Services – (336) 278-7230
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – (800) 273-8255 (TALK)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline Chat – chat.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
- Crisis Text Line
- Cone Health Behavioral Health Hospital (Greensboro) 24-hour HelpLine – (336) 832-9700 or (800) 711-2635
- JED Foundation: How to Help A Friend In Need
- JED Foundation Mental Health Resource Center