At Elon University, student mental health and well-being is a priority. During this unprecedented COVID-19 global health crisis, Counseling Services is committed to supporting student mental health while also protecting the health and safety of the members of our community. Counseling Services is providing Telemental Health (TMH) services to enrolled Elon students located in North Carolina during the fall semester. Available TMH services will include clinical assessment, individual counseling, psychiatric evaluation, and psychiatric follow-up.
To schedule an initial clinical assessment, call the office at (336) 278-7280 during regular office hours, Monday-Friday 8:00 am-5:00 pm. At your initial clinical assessment appointment, your counselor will assess your needs and determine if TMH is an appropriate service.
TO PARTICIPATE IN TMH SERVICES STUDENTS MUST:
be physically located in North Carolina
have use of a personal device (laptop, tablet, phone etc.) with a camera
have access to a secure internet connection
be able to verify identity (i.e. via photo identification)
be alone in a private location for appointments
Students needing a private meeting locations are encouraged to access any of the available rooms in designated areas across campus including:
- Powell basement* (entrance by Haggard Ave), rooms 001, 003, and 006
- Study rooms in Belk Library (masks are required to be worn in all library spaces)
- Numen Lumen, room 214
- Mind-Body Connection* space in Koury Center (through the first door on the left, room in the back of that space available). If door is locked, see Koury Manager at the fitness center check-in desk.
- J-term 2021- Mondays and Fridays, 9am-5pm
- Spring 2021- M/W/F 1:30–5pm and T/Th 8am-12:30pm, EXCEPT February 25, March 4, April 1, and May 6
When using this space:
– check for/use the appropriate door hang upon entering (if ”in use” please utilize a different location for your appt./session)
– turn on the sound machine upon entering and turn off when they exit
– upon exit also lightly spray the general area they have used including desk, chair, couch (sanitizing products – wipes and spray located right inside the office)
(*) spaces reserved for students needing a space for TMH appointments
Please note that these spaces are available on a first come, first served basis so you should be mindful to secure a space well in advance of the scheduled appointment time.
Preparing for your TMH appointment
Counseling Services uses Zoom as a HIPAA compliant video-conferencing tool. There is no cost to the student to access Zoom. You simply need a device with a camera and secure internet access. To utilize our TMH services, we will also need your permission to contact you via phone and email.
- You will receive an email reminder two days in advance of your appointment with important instructions about required paperwork. Please check your spam folder if you do not see this information.
- One the day of the appointment, you will receive a text message with an activation password in order to complete your appointment forms via the online portal. Complete forms at least 30 minutes prior to the scheduled time so your counselor will have time to review.
- You will receive an email from your counselor with the link to the Zoom counseling room prior to the start of your scheduled appointment.
Counseling Services advances the educational mission of Elon University by providing quality psychological interventions, outreach, and consultation services to address the emotional, social, and academic needs of Elon University students.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are committed to embracing diversity in all its forms as a core value of our agency. We are a multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary, and multi-theoretical staff striving to provide culturally competent clinical services and community interventions. We are dedicated to promoting an environment of respect and appreciation for the race, ethnicity, national origin, gender identity, age, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, physical/mental ability, and socioeconomic status of all students. We aim to provide a safe, welcoming, and affirming environment for all persons who utilize our services.
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday during the regular academic year (August through May)
During the summer months of June and July, the office is open 8:00 am – noon, Monday through Thursday.
Phone: (336) 278-7280
Fax: (336) 278-6097
Office Location: Suite 104, R.N. Ellington Center for Health & Wellness on south campus at 301 S O’Kelly Avenue. Enter through the second door from the South parking lot, just past Student Health Services. The Counseling Services check-in will be at the desk to your right when you enter.
Mailing Address: Campus Box 2040, Elon, NC 27244-2040