For routine scheduling needs or office information, call the front desk at (336) 278-7280.
For mental health crises, a Crisis Counselor on Call is available 24/7, call (336) 278-2222.
For life-threatening emergencies, call 9-1-1 for immediate assistance.
In person and virtual Counseling Services appointments are available:
- August through May, Monday – Friday between 8:30am and 4:30pm.
- June and July, Monday – Thursday between 9:00am and 3:00pm.
Elon University has partnered with TimelyCare to extend campus-based mental health services. TimelyCare offers 24/7, on-demand mental health support through TalkNow and scheduled virtual sessions with extended evening and weekend hours. TimelyCare services are available at NO COST to students. To learn more, please review the TimelyCare Virtual Services webpage.
Online Appointment Scheduling is available for First Appointments ONLY.
If the following situations apply, please call the office for scheduling assistance at 336-278-7280:
- You have requested a time online but realize you need to change the request. Please DO NOT request multiple appointment times through this online system as it delays response and prevents other students from accessing available appointment times.
- You need to cancel or reschedule an already confirmed first appointment, or to schedule a follow up appointment with your counselor.
- You have already met with a counselor for a first appointment this academic year.
To schedule your First Appointment of this academic year (June 2022-May 2023):
- Go to http://www.elon.edu/titanium
- Log in using your Elon computing ID and password.
- Select “Request a First Appointment of the School Year”
- Select from available appointment times.
- To search by Provider, enter provider name in text box.
- To search by Day or Date, enter Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri or “mm/dd”
- To search by Appointment Location, enter “virtual” or “in person” in the text box. Appointment Location may be able to be changed from virtual to in-person or vice versa. To request a change in appointment location, complete the online request THEN call our front desk for assistance, 336-278-7280.
- Once your submission is reviewed, you will receive a notice of confirmation via text and/or email. Online appointment requests are reviewed only during regular business hours when the office is open.
NOTE: Elon counselors are licensed to provide services in the state of North Carolina, therefore you must be in-state to attend a virtual counseling appointment.
Your first appointment is referred to as a clinical assessment. The goal of this appointment is to learn about your concerns and determine the most effective ways to help. The counselor will review the paperwork, listen to understand the reason for your visit, and ask questions about your personal history and current goals. The counselor will then make recommendations for the types of services that might be most appropriate. This may include services or resources available through our office, support services available through other offices on campus, and/or referral for off-campus services. If you have questions about the recommendations, discuss your concerns with the counselor. If you are not interested in pursuing these recommendations, you may decline to accept them. See Overview of Services and Scope of Clinical Care for more details.
Follow Up Appointments
The length and frequency of follow up appointments will be determined in consultation with your counselor. Positive outcomes in counseling are often dependent upon the work that clients do in between sessions. In the time between appointments, apply a newly learned skill or recommendation from your counselor, journal to reflect on what was discussed, or create a note that captures a challenge or success that occurs between sessions that you want to discuss at your next appointment.
Attendance/Missed Appointment Policy
A personal commitment is crucial to the success of your counseling experience. Students are expected to arrive on time for scheduled appointments. Due to the high demand for services and to allow for best access of services by all students, we require at least 24 hours’ advance notice to cancel or reschedule an appointment in order to best use that time to help other students that may need to be seen. You may cancel or reschedule appointments by calling the office at (336) 278-7280.
There will be a charge of $35.00 for missed counseling appointments to include: no-shows, appointments cancelled with less than 24 hours’ notice, and arrival more than 15 minutes after your scheduled appointment time. This charge will be billed to your student bursar account as “Missed Appointment fee”.
If you would like to dispute any charges, you may complete the Missed Appointment Fee Dispute Form within 10 business days and bring it to our office. If there are on-going attendance concerns, such as repeated cancellations or no-shows, you may be asked to consult with the Director or designee before scheduling subsequent appointments. Services may be terminated if you have an excessive number of cancellations or no shows.
Email is not a confidential medium for communication. Because we are concerned about protecting our clients’ privacy, Counseling Services does not use email to discuss clients’ clinical issues. Counseling Services staff members do not maintain 24/7 access to email accounts and may check e-mail infrequently.
Transportation to/from Appointments
Health Services and Counseling Services, located in the R.N. Ellington Center, are a short walk from most areas on campus (within 15 minutes). For students who are ill (but ambulatory) or have a scheduled appointment, there are parking and shuttle transportation options. The Ellington Center Transport shuttle is a small 4-passenger electric car.
Parking: Students who have cars or access to cars may park in the South Campus lot adjacent to the Ellington Center. No permit is needed in the large South Campus (Ellington Center) Lot at the end of O’Kelly Drive.
Elon University Ellington Center Shuttle: Students who have an appointment at Health Services or Counseling Services can arrange for shuttle transportation from anywhere on campus owned or operated property to the Ellington Center by calling The Office of The Dean of Students at (336) 278-7200, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 8:00 am until 3:00 pm on Friday. Faculty and staff may also utilize the service for appointments at Faculty/Staff Wellness in the Ellington Center.
- Students, faculty and staff should call at least one hour prior to their scheduled appointment time to make arrangements for transport. Return shuttles will be provided as available. There may be a wait time for pick-ups and returns depending on demand.
Students must schedule their appointment with Health Services or Counseling Services before calling for transportation.
- Students/faculty/staff who are experiencing a medical or mental health emergency or who cannot walk without assistance should call 9-1-1. The Ellington Center Shuttle cannot transport riders who are experiencing a medical or psychological emergency or who are unable to walk without assistance.
- To better prevent the spread of illness, riders who exhibit signs of illness may be asked to use preventive measures before boarding the shuttle (hand sanitizer, mask, etc.)
Every effort is made to run the shuttle on schedule. The Ellington Center Shuttle may not be available at all times including severe weather, university breaks, or when drivers are not available.