Where are you located?

Counseling Services is located in Suite 104 of the Ellington Center for Health & Wellness located on South campus. The physical address is 301 S. O’Kelly Avenue, Elon, NC 27244.

Who may use Counseling Services?

Counseling Services are available to all enrolled Elon University students.

How do I make an appointment?

Students may schedule an appointment online or by calling our office at (336) 278-7280. Appointments are available during normal business hours.

To schedule a First Appointment of the academic year online:

  • Go to www.elon.edu/titanium
  • Log us using your Elon computing ID and password.
  • Select from available dates, times, and providers.

What can I expect when I come in for a first appointment?

Your first appointment is referred to as a clinical assessment. This appointment takes about 45-50 minutes. The goal of this appointment is to learn about your concerns and determine out an effective way to help you. The counselor will review the paperwork, listen to understand the reason for your visit, and ask questions about your personal history and current goals. The counselor will then make recommendations for the types of services that might be most appropriate. This may services or resources available through our office, support services available through other offices on campus, and/or referral for off-campus services. If you have questions about the recommendations, discuss your concerns with the counselor. If you are not interested in pursuing these recommendations, you may decline to accept them.

Please refer to our Scope of Clinical Care Statement to better understand our service limitations.

How frequently will I meet with a counselor?

Individual counseling appointments are scheduled based on clinical need and appointment availability. Students participating in group therapy will generally meet weekly for the duration of a semester.

If a student is seeking intensive or specialized treatment, a Referral Database is available to assist with connecting to off-campus providers & resources.

Is there a limit to how many sessions I can receive?

We do not have session limits. Many students utilize and average of 4 -5 counseling sessions per academic year, which is within the national range for college counseling centers. Students may be seen more or less depending on their needs and appointment availability.

How much do counseling sessions cost?

All counseling sessions are free of charge. This includes initial assessments, group counseling, couples and individual counseling, educational workshop series, and crisis triage appointments. Psychiatric services are available for students engaged in ongoing counseling services as a fee-for-service option.

What types of concerns can I bring up with my therapist?

Students commonly address a wide range of concerns including, but not limited to, anxiety, interpersonal relationships, sexuality, depression, life transitions, grief/loss, identity, trauma, and eating concerns/self-image.

Some students question whether their concerns warrant a visit to the counseling center. If there is any area of your life that you find is disrupting your healthy functioning (eating, sleeping, studying, concentration, relationships, mood, or general sense of well-being), then it is important, and we encourage you to come in to discuss it with us.

Please refer to our Scope of Clinical Care Statement to better understand our service limitations.

Is counseling confidential?

Yes, all communication you share within Counseling Services is confidential and protected by the law if you are 18 or older. Information about your attendance at Counseling Services and any information you reveal in sessions cannot be discussed with others (including all Elon faculty, staff, students, or parents) unless you have given written consent.

By law, there are exceptions to this rule. Exceptions include the following:

  • If you present a clear and present danger to yourself or someone else
  • If there is abuse of a child or vulnerable adult
  • If ordered by a judge or court under appropriate state and federal laws

Counselors sometimes function in other roles on campus, including the classroom. To protect your confidentiality, we will not acknowledge any clinical relationship with you should we see you or interact with you outside of Counseling Services.

What qualifications do the counselors have?

All providers are trained and licensed mental health professionals.  Our providers use a variety of counseling styles and techniques. See our Meet the Staff page to learn more about our providers.

What if I would like to work with a different counselor?

We believe a “good fit” with your counselor is vitally important to the therapeutic process and to your healing and growth. If you feel your counselor is not a good fit after the first session, we would encourage you to consider meeting with them again for a second session. If you are able, voice your concerns to your counselor. We love to have honest and direct conversations and more than anything, want your counseling experience to be helpful. If you would like to try a different counselor, you are welcome to do so. You can either let your counselor know and they will help facilitate a transfer to another provider, or contact the main office to indicate that you would like to transfer to another counselor.

What if I need psychiatric medication?

A bilingual psychiatric provider is on staff to provide assessment and medication management services to active Counseling Services clients. The cost is $160 for the initial psychiatric evaluation and $100 for follow up appointments.

Student seeking psychiatric services only should explore the Referral Database for information about psychiatric providers in the community.

What if I am in crisis?

Dial 9-1-1 first for emergency response if there is an imminent danger to self or others.

Crisis services are primarily for urgent situations (e.g. thoughts of harming yourself or someone else). Students experiencing urgent mental health needs should call (336) 278-2222 to reach the Counselor-on-Call. The Counselor-on-Call who will complete a brief risk assessment of the situation and recommend steps for additional support or follow-up to ensure safety.

If your concern is not a crisis, contact the office during regular business hours to speak with a counselor and/or schedule an appointment.


What can I do if I am worried about a friend?

Students have several resources to access if they are worried about a friend.

  1. Counseling Services providers are available for consultations by appointment during regular business hours by calling (336) 278-7280.
  2. Student Care and Outreach allows for anyone who has a concern for a student’s health, well-being, or behavior to share these concerns through an online care referral. The information shared may be used to help link a student with resources and/or respond if a student’s behavior is creating a situation that is potentially unsafe for themselves or others. These reporting forms are for non-emergency reporting only. If any person may be in danger, call 9-1-1 immediately. Care referrals are typically reviewed within 1-2 business days of submission and should not be utilized if there is a crisis or mental health emergency. Submit a care referral online.
  3. Campus Safety & Police are available to conduct a welfare check if there is an urgent concern about someone’s safety or well-being.

Are services available for students in a Study USA or Study Abroad program?

For students that will be participating in a Study USA or Study Abroad program, please view our video for some tips on how to prepare for your emotional and mental well-being while traveling. Please note that we cannot provide ongoing care while you are out of state, but welcome you to schedule an appointment prior to your departure.