At Elon University, student mental health and well-being is a priority. During this unprecedented COVID-19 global health crisis, Counseling Services is committed to supporting student mental health while also protecting the health and safety of the members of our community. Counseling Services is providing Telemental Health (TMH) services to enrolled Elon students located in North Carolina during the fall semester. Available TMH services will include clinical assessment, individual counseling, psychiatric evaluation, and psychiatric follow-up.
At your initial clinical assessment appointment, your counselor will assess your needs and determine if TMH is an appropriate service. To schedule an initial clinical assessment, call the office at (336) 278-7280 during regular office hours, Monday-Friday 8:00 am-5:00 pm.
To participate in TMH services student must:
- be physically located in North Carolina
- have use of a personal device (laptop, tablet, phone etc.) with a camera
- have access to a secure internet connection
- be alone in a private location for appointments
Students needing a private meeting locations are encouraged to access any of the available rooms in designated areas across campus including:
- Powell basement* (entrance by Haggard Ave), rooms 001, 003, and 006
- Study rooms in Belk Library (masks are required to be worn in all library spaces)
- Numen Lumen, room 214
- Mind-Body Connection space* located past the entry desk in Koury Center through the first door on the left. There is a room in the back of that space available M/W/F 1:30–5pm and T/Th 8am-12:30pm)
*solely reserved for students needing a space for TMH appointments
Please note that these spaces are available on a first-come, first-serve basis so you should be mindful to secure a space well in advance of the scheduled appointment time.
What you need to know to prepare for your TMH appointments
Counseling Services uses Zoom as a HIPAA compliant video-conferencing tool. There is no cost to the student to access Zoom. You simply need a device with a camera and secure internet access. To utilize our TMH services, we will also need your permission to contact you via phone and email.
- You will receive an email reminder two days in advance of your appointment with detailed instructions explaining the required paperwork that will need to be completed the day of your appointment.
- On the day of your appointment, you will receive two important pieces of information.
- a text message with a unique password to log into portal to complete required forms at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- an email with a link and instructions to access the private Zoom counseling room.
- Once your forms are completed and reviewed, your clinician admit you into the counseling room to begin the session.