Parent Information

Psychological related emergencies should call 9-1-1.

Parents, friends, or concerned others may contact Counseling Services at (336) 278-7280 during business hours for information on how we might be helpful to your student. We will be happy to discuss our services with you and provide some tips on how to encourage your student to make an appointment.

Please understand that, according to federal and state law, we cannot reveal information about the individual, including whether or not they have scheduled or attended an appointment,  unless they provide written permission.

In certain circumstances, Student Life administrative staff will contact a parent or other emergency contact directly. These circumstances may include, but are not limited to:

  • If a student is judged to be in serious violation of university policy, the university may call and ask that parents take their student home for an assessment.
  • If a student has threatened or attempted suicide, an Elon administrator will notify the parents and discuss the incident. In some cases, the university may require the student receive treatment at home. The University may require psychological assessment before returning to campus.
  • In the case of a student returning home for assessment and treatment, the university will require the student to provide a statement from the treating professional that a return to college is safe and appropriate.

Students who are not experiencing a crisis situation but who may be experiencing some level of psychological and/or emotional distress are encouraged to contact Counseling Services at (336) 278-7280 during regular business hours to arrange a meeting with a counselor.  Students who are not experiencing an emergency or crisis may also access our Mental Health Online Screening tool. This tool will help direct students to resources.

More information about accessing emergency response resources after hours may be found at The Student Life Emergency Response System or by calling Campus Safety and Police at (336) 278-5555.

Student Concerns Outreach: While Counseling Services staff are happy to discuss our services with you and provide some tips on how to encourage your student to make an appointment, due to confidentiality we generally do not reach out to students.  If you are concerned about the well-being of your student (e.g., poor academic performance, missing classes, not connected socially, etc.), it may be helpful to reach out to Student Concerns Outreach to share your concerns.  You may contact the Coordinator for Student Concerns Outreach at 336-278-7200,, or by submitting an online report to express your concern(s).  The matter will be referred to a member of the Student Concerns and Threat  Assessment Team for follow-up.