Music Department Facilities


Whitley Auditorium

Opened in 1924, named for Rev. Leonard Hume Whitley by his son-in-law, trustee Col. J.M. Darden. Whitley Auditorium serves as a venue for lectures, concerts, performances and weekly chapel services. Whitley also houses a Casavant pipe organ, added in 2001, named in honor of Alyse Smith Cooper by her brother J. Harold Smith, an Elon trustee.


McCrary Theatre

A fully equipped performance space with seating for 575, named for John A. and Iris McEwen McCrary.


Arts West

In the fall of 2015, the university opened a new music facility featuring three new recording studios and a new Music Technology Lab for the Music Production & Recording Arts program, additional faculty offices and teaching studios, and a classroom.


Recording Studios

Studio A features a Pro Tools HDX system with an Avid D-Command ES 24 mixing console. The system includes world-class Focusrite RedNet, SSL, Vintech (Neve 1073), Chandler (Abbey Road/EMI) mic preamps for 32 premium input channels. We use Genelec speakers as our primary nearfield monitors, with Behringer C50A cubes filling the classic Auratone role.

The studio also features world-class compressors such as the UA 1176 and ADL 1500 which is a replica of the classic Teletronix LA2A, but with two channels. We also have a Moog Voyager Rackmount Synth for creating great classic analog patches.

We use a set of Switchcraft TT patchbays for routing signal from the various tracking spaces, isolation booth, and through any outboard gear and monitor routing options.

Studio B features a Pro Tools HD Native system, with Focusrite RedNet, Avid HD Omni, and Universal Audio mic preamps and a 24 channel Euphonix mix surface, with Genelec reference monitors. The studio also has a medium-size tracking room and connects to Studio C, the large recording and rehearsal room.

Studio C / Live Room is a multipurpose space, functioning as a large live room for recording from studio A or studio B control rooms, a rehearsal space for Elon's Electric Ensemble and Techtronica, a teaching and lab space for the MPRA Live Sound Production & Recording class, and a meeting space for the bi-weekly MPRA departmental breakout sessions.


Center for the Arts

75,000-square-foot facility specifically designed for teaching and performance. The center includes McCrary Theatre, Yeager Recital Hall, music classrooms, music technology lab, recording studio, faculty offices, ensemble rehearsal room, and practice rooms.


Outdoor Venues

Rhodes Stadium hosts the Fire of the Carolinas (marching band) half-time shows during the football season.

The quad between Moseley Center, Belk Library, and the Koury Athletic Center hosts various outdoor concerts every spring. The Electric Ensemble, élan, and World Percussion Ensemble have played concerts there as part of CELEBRATE!


Yeager Recital Hall

125-seat recital hall offers a more intimate setting. The hall is named for Frances Council Yeager.


Alumni Gym

Built in 1949, the facility seats 2,500 and is named in memory of alumni who lost their lives in World War I and II.


Teaching Spaces

The large ensemble rehearsal room is used by the orchestra, wind ensemble, chorale, camerata, jazz ensemble, percussion ensemble, and other groups.

The Music Technology Lab has 18 iMac digital audio workstations running Pro Tools, Logic Express, Digital Performer, Sibelius, GarageBand, Ableton Live and Studio One. Each station includes full-sized 88-key MIDI controllers, ShuttlePro, and a two-channel digital audio interface.


Elon University Campus

Elon has a beautiful, well-maintained campus on more than 575 acres in the town of Elon. It is 45 minutes north-west of Durham and Chapel Hill, N.C., and 30 minutes east of Greensboro.