The Elon Vocal Scholars is a select, audition-based program for talented singers interested in singing together and enriching the community with performances. The Elon Vocal Scholars program is available to students interested in any academic major at Elon who is passionate about singing.
Students chosen to serve as Vocal Scholars form a strong cohort of singers dedicated to service through singing. Guided by a faculty mentor, they develop their talents toward the enhancement of Elon events and the local community.
- In the first year, students explore singing through practice, participation and communion with one another.
- Take Elon 1010 with other Vocal Scholars.
- Attend a varied selection of vocal performances as a group.
- Engage with one another through meals, singing rehearsals and informal singing for one another.
- Enroll and participate in a Music Department vocal ensemble. (Performing Arts majors may substitute with a Music Theatre ensemble).
- Reflect on their roles as artists as they plan and develop opportunities to serve the community.
- During year two, students continue to develop their vocal experience and actively engage as singing ambassadors, providing service to the campus and the community.
- Enroll in a Music Department vocal ensemble. (Performing Arts majors may substitute with a Music Theatre ensemble.)
- Attend a workshop, conference, other courses related to voice, vocal health or a vocal performance to gain insight on the dynamics of singing.
- Support one another as singers on campus, contributing to the life of the university at various events as soloists or as a group.
- Develop and engage in a singing-centered project designed to serve the surrounding community.
- Offer a singing workshop to the Music in the Village program.
Years 3 and 4
- During the junior and senior years, the vocal scholars will focus on their majors while continuing to engage as singers in their chosen capacities, offering singing to university events when needed. They will also engage with and provide mentorship to new vocal scholars.
An audition is required for this program. Please submit a video of two contrasting songs and a current resume that highlights musical experience. The song may represent any style of music with which the student is comfortable. Students auditioning for degree programs in Music or Performing Arts may be considered during their audition for those respective departments.
Ready to Apply?
Students with substantial and broad leadership experiences in their high school and/or communities are competitive candidates for Elon’s Scholars programs. Fifteen Elon Vocal Scholars are selected in each first-year class.
The Scholars application is due January 15. Students may apply for a maximum of two programs:
- Option 1: Two Fellows Programs. Under this option, you may apply to one school-based program (Business, Communications, Elon College, Engineering, Nursing or Teaching) and one nonschool-based program (Honors or Leadership).
- Option 2: One Fellows Program and one Scholars Program.
- Option 3: Two Scholars Programs.