The Elon University Chamber Orchestra was founded in 1962 by Dr. Malvin Artley under the name of Elon College Community Orchestra. The name was later changed to the Elon University Chamber Orchestra. The purpose of the orchestra however has remained since its inception; to provide students, community members and area professionals with an ensemble of high calibre that is dedicated to performing standard orchestra literature. In addition, select members of the ensemble make up the pit orchestra for the Performing Arts Department's fall musical production.
Q. Is an audition required for membership in the orchestra?
A. Yes. Membership in the orchestra is by audition only. Auditions are held at the beginning of the fall semester.
Q. How do I set up an audition?
A. You should contact Dr. Erdmann prior to the beginning of classes for an audition time and place.
Q. What does the audition consist of?
A. A prepared piece from standard orchestral literature, scales and sight reading.
Q. Are there scholarships available for participation?
A. Unfortunately, no.
Q. Where and when does the orchestra rehearse?
A. The orchestra rehearses in the Center for the Arts on Monday Evenings from 7-9 p.m.
Q. Can I receive academic credit for orchestra?
A. Yes, students completing successful auditions are registered for Music 103E for 1 semester hour credit.
Arnaud - Bugler's Dream from Charge!
Bach, J.S. - Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 (Omri Shimron, piano)
- Cantata No. 55 (Gerald Knight, tenor, Elon University Chorale)
- Piano Concerto No. 1 in D minor (Victoria Fischer Faw and Omri Shimron, piano)
- Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Major (Shuko Petty, piano)
- Piano Concerto No. 4 in B-flat Major (Victoria Fischer Faw, piano)
Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Minor (Lise Keiter-Brotzman, piano)
- Symphony No. 1 in C Major
- Symphony No. 2 in D Major
Bishop - Symphony For Strings
Brahms - Hungarian Dance No. 5
Cavalli - Amor, Chi Ti Die L’ali from Clori’s Lament (Hallie Hogan, mezzo-soprano)
Coleman - Adieu
- One-Hit Wonders Medley (Elon Electric Ensemble, Todd Coleman director)
- To Remember
Corelli - Concerto Grosso in G minor, Op. 6 No. 8
Dittersdorf - Piano Concerto in A Major (Gregory Thompson, piano)
Dvorak - Cello Concerto in B minor, Op. 104 (Anne Selliti, cello)
- Symphony No. 9 in E Minor "New World"
Ellington - Mood Indigo (Matt Buckmaster, trombone)
Glazunov - Interludium in modo antico
Gluck - Dance of the Blessed Spirits from Orpheus and Euridice
Gossec - Weihnachtssuite, Suite de Noels
Green - The Butcher's Canticle Of The Earth (World Premiere) (Jon Metzger, percussion)
Grainger - Irish Tune From County Derry
Grieg - From Holberg's Time, Suite In Olden Style
- Three Pieces from Sigurd Jorsalfar
- Vaaren (Hallie Coppedge Hogan, mezzo soprano)
Grimani - Sinfonia from Pallade e Marte
Handel/Turanchik - Concerto a due cori in B-flat
Handel - Concerto Grosso, Op. 6 No. 1
- Concerto Grosso, Op. 6, No. 10
- Dances from Almira
Hanson - Symphony No. 2 "Romantic"
Haydn - Cello Concerto in C (Meaghan Skogan, cello)
- March for the Royal Society of Musicians
- Piano Concerto in D Major (Victoria Fischer Faw, piano)
- Sinfonia from the Opera, La Fedelta Premiata
- Symphony No. 1 in D Major
- Symphony No. 31 in D Major "Mit dem Hornsignal"
- Symphony No. 45 in F-Sharp Minor "Farewell"
Heyman and Green - I Cover The Waterfront (Jon Metzger, vibraphone, Kevin Pace, bass)
Hofeldt - The Gift
Holst - Brook Green Suite
- St. Paul's Suite
Hovhaness - Armenian Rhapsopdy No. 3
- Fantasy On Japanese Woodprints (Tony Sawyer, marimba)
- Overture for Strings and Trombone (Matthew Buckmaster, trombone)
- Symphony No. 21
Jenkins - Passacaglia
Kern - They Didn't Believe Me (Brad Linde, alto saxophone)
Kimber - La Folia
Legrenzi - Sonate
Lully - Suite from Roland
Mahler - Piano Quartet (Full Orchestra Version) (Victoria Fischer Faw, piano)
Mantler - Light (Chip Newton, guitar)
- Marimbavibe (Mariana Poole, marimba and vibraphone)
Mendelssohn - Piano Concerto No. 1 in G Minor (Victoria Fischer Faw, piano)
- Sinfonia No. 10 in B Minor
Mercer - Laura (Brad Linde, alto saxophone)
- Tangerine (Matt Buckmaster, trombone)
Metzger - Bossa Linda (Jon Metzger and Kevin Pace, vibraphone and bass)
Monteverdi - Overture from Orfeo
Moussorgsky - Hopak from The Fair at Sorochinsk
Mozart - Serenade in G Major "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik"
- Soave sia il vento from Cosi fan tutti (Polly Cornelius, Hallie Hogan, Ken Lee, vocalists)
- Sonata No. 14 in C (Mary Alice Bragg, organ)
- Symphony No. 1 in E-flat Major
- Symphony No. 4 in D Major
- Symphony No. 5 in B-flat Major
- Symphony No. 6 in F Major
- Symphony No. 7 in D Major
- Symphony No. 7A in G Major
Nelhybel - A MIghty Fortress
- Music For Orchestra
- Overture For Orchestra
- Slavonic Triptych
O'Neill and Linkel - Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24
Pace - As It Should Be (Jon Metzger, vibraphone, Kevin Pace, bass)
Page and Plant/Coleman - Kashmir (Elon Electric Ensemble)
Page and Plant/Lucero - Stairway to Heaven (Elon Electric Ensemble)
Parker - Yardbird Suite (Brad Linde and Kevin Pace, alto saxophone and bass)
Pärt - Cantus In Memory Of Benjamin Britten
- Perpetuum Mobile
Pedrollo - Concertino for Oboe and Strings (Thomas Turanchik, oboe)
Petty - Moon Shadows
Purcell - Overture from the Ode ,Who Can From Joy Refrain
- Dido And Aeneas (the complete opera)
Riley - Olson 111 (Elon University Camerata, Stephen Futrell director)
Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor (Ruskin Cooper, piano)
Rimsky-Korsakov - Procession Of The Nobles from Mlada
Salieri - Overture from La Scuola di Gelosi
Scarlatti - Christmas Cantata (Polly Butler Cornelius, soprano)
Shostakovich - Satirical Dance from The Bolt
Sibelius - Andante Festivo
Stamitz - Symphony in E-flat Major
Strauss, Johann Jr. - Tick-Tack Polka from Die Fledermaus
Johann Jr, and Josef Strauss - Pizzacato Polka
Richard Strauss - Overture from Elektra
Stravinsky - Song Of The Volga Boatmen
Susato - Three Dances
Tchaikovsky - Andante Cantabile from String Quartet No. 1 in D Major
- Ballet Suite from Swan Lake
- Waltz from Eugene Onegin
Vivaldi - Autumn and Winter from The Four Seasons (Daniel Skidmore, violin)
- Spring and Summer from The Four Seasons (Katherine Thomas, violin)
Wieniawski - Legende