Concussion FAQ sheets:
Mission of Elon BrainCARE Research Institute:
The focus of Elon BrainCARE has been on elevating the quality of the mentored undergraduate research experience through concussion research and education as a result of an ongoing partnership with athletics. Elon BrainCARE has organized an annual symposiums, published peer-reviewed articles, presented at national and international organizations, and submitted multiple grants to external agencies. This work is a result of collaborations with students, staff, and faculty at Elon as well as University of Delaware, University of North-Carolina (Chapel Hill and Greensboro) and Harvard. Through this growth the aims have now expanded.
Elon BrainCARE Research Institute has expanded the scope of our work to provide support and resources to empower students and student-athletes to thrive. Our mission is two-fold: 1) help create a supportive environment for students and student-athletes to become educated concerning the potential impact of concussions through evidence based practices and research; and 2) to create health promoting environments that support resilience and positive mental wellness.
- Dr. Eric Hall, Professor of Exercise Science and Faculty Athletic Representative, Elon University
- Dr. Caroline Ketcham, Professor and Chair of Exercise Science, Elon University
Support Elon BrainCARE Research Institute:
While we continually pursue external funding for our research, we do serve our students and student-athletes at Elon with concussion management testing and resources as well as education around mental wellness and concussion knowledge. Donations to Elon BrainCARE support baseline testing software, student and faculty travel to disseminate work, speakers for our annual symposium, and more. We are always looking for partners to help in specific ways, or general support for our mission.
6th Annual Elon BrainCARE Symposium
Thursday March 7, 2019
Making an Impact on the Field of Concussions: Women in Science and Management
McKinnon Hall, 12:30 – 6:00 pm, This event is free and open to the public.
The 6th Annual Elon BrainCARE Symposium will educate the Elon community about issues related to concussions and concussion management in student-athletes. In honor of International Women’s Day, this symposium is dedicated to featuring top women scholars and practitioners doing the science and management of sport concussions and related issues in this important field. Please see www.elon.edu/braincare for most up-to-date information concerning this symposium. Sponsored by Elon BrainCARE Research Institute and the Department of Exercise Science.
- Kristy Arbogast, PhD, Director of Engineering at the Center for Injury Research and Prevention at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and co-director of the Center for Child Injury Prevention Studies.
- Melissa Bowie, Speech Language Pathologist, Moses Cone Health
- Heather Colleran, PhD, Assistant Professor of Nutrition at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University
- Donna Duffy, PhD, Assistant Professor of Kinesiology at University North Carolina Greensboro; Program Director for the Program for the Advancement of Girls and Women in Sport and Physical Activity,The Center for Women’s Health and Wellness at UNCG.
- Caroline Ketcham, PhD, Professor and Chair of Exercise Science at Elon University; Co-Director of Elon BrainCARE Research Institute
- Kirtida Patel, MD, Head Team Physician, Elon University
- Johna Register-Mihalik,PhD, LAT, ATC , Assistant Professor of Exercise and Sport Science and University of North Carolina Chapel Hill; Research Scientist at the Injury Prevention Research Center
- 5th Annual Elon BrainCARE Symposium “Mental Health and the Student-Athlete: Innovative Care” (April, 2018)
- Speakers: Emily Beamon; Robert L Conder; J.D. DeFreese; Scarlett Ruppert
- 4th Annual Elon BrainCARE Symposium “Mental Health, Resilience and Concussion Knowledge in College Students (April, 2017)
- Speakers: Nikki Barczak; Zachary Kerr; Emily Kroshus; Jeff Milroy; Lindsey Sanders; Marie Shaw; Brent Walker
- 3rd Annual Elon BrainCARE Symposium (February, 2016)
- Speakers: Kelsey Evans; Jessie Oldham; Rob Lynall; Michael J. Petrizzi; Michelle Landry; Michelle Krishel; Christopher Neal; Richard Strosky
- 2nd Annual Elon BrainCARE Symposium (May, 2015)
- Speakers: Jay Alberts; Marty Baker; Tom Buckley; Cayce Crenshaw; Derek Lawrance; Carly Ledbetter; Kirtida Patel; Mark Sundman; Mary Tendler; Eleanna Varangis; Emily Williams
- 1st Annual Elon BrainCARE Symposium (April, 2014)
- Speakers: Kenneth Barnes; Joseph Devaney; Matthew Kostek; Kirtida Patel; Robert Roche; Christopher Vaughan
Information for Athletes regarding Concussions