About Sexual Health
- Sexuality includes physical, ethical, social, spiritual, psychological, and emotional dimensions and is a natural, healthy part of being human.
- Individuals can express their sexuality in varied ways.
- Sexual relationships should be reciprocal, based on respect, and should never be coercive or exploitative.
- Individuals, families, and society benefit when young people are able to discuss sexuality with their peers, parents and/or trusted adults.
- Young people develop their values about sexuality as part of becoming adults.
- Young people need access to information about sexual and reproductive healthcare services.
***Please note that our ‘Safer Sex Supplies’ program is currently unavailable due to current remote working/learning operations***
Free Safer Sex Supplies
Supplies currently available:
- Male Condoms – Lifestyles Colors Basic Lubricated
- Latex Free Male Condoms – Lifestyles Non-latex Condoms
- Flavored Condoms – Durex Tropical Flavors
- Lubricant – Lifestyles Water-Based Individual packets (4.5 grams per packet)
- Dental Dams – Trustex Scented Latex Dental Dams (available in Mint, Banana, Vanilla, Strawberry and Grape)
Every type of sexual activity, with or without safer sex materials, entails some amount of risk. Learning about the risks associated with all types of sexual activity allows students to make informed choices about which sexual practices they engage in and what safer sex materials they will use. Learning about risks may also mean that students choose not to be sexually active. Students are encouraged to consult with their health care provider to discuss options for contraceptives and safer sex practices.
***Please note that it is a violation of the Elon University Honor Code to send Safer Sex Supplies to someone without their permission.
Your safer sex supplies should arrive in your campus box discreetly packaged within 3-5 days. This service is offered to students as part of comprehensive health programming.
Please do not abuse this service or you will lose this service. These supplies are expensive but are offered to students free of charge in the hopes of creating a safer, more healthful and respectful community. Any use of this request form intended to harass, threaten, or intimidate others is a violation of the honor code. In other words, please be kind and use this service responsibly.
HIV, syphilis and hepatitis C testing
1st Thursday of each month – Free and Confidential testing provided by Alamance Cares (a Cone Health program) www.alamancecares.com
Additional STI Screenings
The only real way to know for sure if you’re infected with a STI is to be tested. Some STI’s such as Herpes or Genital Warts can be diagnosed by a visual inspection when symptoms are present, while other STI’s may need further tests done such as blood work or taking a culture from the infected area. Its imperative to see a physician at the very first sign of a STI because of the health risks that may occur if left untreated for a periods of time.
The Alamance County Health Department offers STI screenings for Gonorrhea, Syphillis, Chlamydia, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, Trichomonas, Yeast Infections, Herpes, pubic lice, genital warts, and HIV.
All services are free of charge and are available by appointment to anyone requesting service (including minors who do not have parental consent).
For additional information or to find out how to schedule an appointment with the Alamance County Health Department, click here.